HISTORICAL IMAGE
Oxford, Connecticut, USA
Camp Palmer
"The Knights of Columbus established and sponsored Camp Palmer in 1922 when Thomas J. O’Brien, Past Grand Knight of Elm City Council of New Haven, wanted to send his young sons to a summer camp.
He found no area camps operated under Catholic auspices. Mr. O’Brien presented a resolution to the New Haven council that called for a joint conference with the other councils of the district. Other area councils followed suit, and eventually, in 1922, the cooperative effort opened a camp on the Housatonic River near the Seymour/ Oxford town line. It was the first summer camp for Catholic boys operated exclusively under the auspices of the Knights of Columbus.
The camp was named for William H. Palmer, an Oxford resident and former United States Marshal who donated 10 acres for the camp..." patch.com/ oxford-ct/ the-history-of-camp-palmer-in-oxford