Malone, New York, USA - 1918 - Malone
MALONE was formed from Chateaugay, March 2d, 1805, as “Harrison,” from Richard Harrison, proprietor. April 8th, 1808, changed to “Ezraville, from Ezra L’Hommedieu, of Suffolk Co., and again changed to Malone, June 10, 1812. It embraces Nos. 6 and 9 of Great Tract No. 1. It is an. interior town, lying North of the Geological center of the County, and South of the center of population. Its surface is gently undulating in the North, and broken and hilly in the South. The Salmon river is the principal stream, it flows northwesterly through the town in a deep channel worn by its waters; in its rapid descent along the North border are extensive plains. The soil in the South among the hills is sandy and unproductive, but in the North is fertile, and well improved, when not covered by light drift deposits. A paint called “Duane Paint,” resembling sienna and much used for outside painting, is manufactured from an iron ore found in the South part of the town. About a mile South of the Village is a quarry of Potsdam Sandstone of excellent ‘quality for building, as the beautiful appearance of many of the buildings of the village will testify. Malone, the County seat, and the only incorporated village in the County, is finely situated on Salmon River, in the center of township No. 6. It is the seat of the Franklin Academy, finely located on an eminence in the Western part of the village. It is also the most important intermediate station on the Ogdensburgh Railroad, the machine and repair shops of which are located in the Northwestern part of the village, and will compare favorably with the best shops in the Eastern States. All the engines and cars used on the road are built here.
The Bank of Malone is also located here, and is doing a flourishing business, probably very few villages in the State of equal size does as much general business as Malone. The village is supplied with pure spring water, conducted in pipes from an adjacent hill. The Water Works Company was incorporated March 23, 1857, with a capital of $15,000. The Fair Grounds of the Franklin County Agricultural Society are located in the valley just East of the Village. The ground is level and finely adapted to the purpose.
The 98th Regiment N. Y. S. V. were stationed on these grounds while recruiting during the fall and winter of 1861—2; while they were here the grounds bore the name of “Camp Franklin” Titusville is a small village at the Great Falls, on Salmon river, in the south part of the town. The first settlements were made near Malone village by Enos, Nathan, and John Wood and others in 1802. An arsenal was built at the village in 1812, and sold in 1850, the proceeds of which were applied to beautifying the park in. the eastern part of the village. In 1813—14 the place was visited and plundered by the British. The town has an area of 63,200 acres.
Historical Sketches of Franklin County..., Frederick J. Seaver, J.B. Lyon Co., 1918
Visit Malone, New York, USA
Discover the people who lived there, the places they visited and the stories they shared.
The comments you read here belong only to the person who posted them. We reserve the right to remove off-topic and inappropriate comments.