1874 - ANOTHER FIRE IN WESTPORT
Thursday morning, at half-past two o’clock, fire was discovered issuing from the large farm barn on the premises of Mr. Stephen H. Alden in Westport. An alarm was sounded and the firemen promptly came, but, despite their efforts and the aid of many citizens, the structure soon became a mass of ruins. A horse, four Alderney cows (worth $1,000 each) a large quantity of hay, grain, and farming utensils were burned. The loss cannot be less than $10,000; no insurance. During a seven years’ residence in Westport, Mr. Alden has suffered by no less than six fires, and his losses will aggregate $75,000. Two weeks ago, on the 16th ult., a grapery on his premises, built by the late R. H. Winslow, of New York, at an expense of $7,000, was set on fire and burned. The present fire is undoubtedly incendiary.
Hartford Daily Courant
January 3, 1874
Visit Westport, Connecticut, USA
Discover the people who lived there, the places they visited and the stories they shared.