1886 - Williston
THIS town, lying in the central part of Chittenden county, and bounded north by Winooski River, which separates it from Essex and Jericho, east by Richmond, south by St. George and Shelburne, and west by Muddy Brook, which separates it from Burlington, was chartered by Governor Wentworth, of New Hampshire, on the 7th of June, 1763, to Samuel WILLIS and sixty-four associates. It derived its name from Mr. WILLIS, who seemed to be one of the most prominent among the grantees. The charter purported to grant 23,040 acres, the regular area of a complete township, in seventy-one shares, bounded as follows: North by Winooski River, east by Bolton, south by Huntington and Hinesburg, and west by Burlington, whose eastern line was about one mile west of the site of Williston village. On the 27th of October, 1794, these limits were altered by annexation from Burlington of the land lying east of Muddy Brook, and the taking of the eastern portion of Williston towards the formation of Richmond. The...
Read more