Jersey City, New Jersey, USA - 1895 - Jersey City
Jersey City, capital of Hudson co., N.J., on the right or W. bank of the Hudson River, at its entrance into New York Bay, and opposite New York City, from which it is 1 mile distant, and with which constant communication is maintained by 5 ferries, running upwards of 25 boats, generally large and powerful. It is bounded N. by North Bergen, Hoboken, and West Hoboken, S. by Bayonne, and W. by Newark Bay and the Hackensack River, and extends 5 miles N. and S. by about 3 miles E. and W. The Morris Canal connects it with Easton, Pa. The streets are gener ally, with few exceptions, laid out at right angles, and are of good width, well paved, sewered, lighted with gas and electricity, and bordered by many handsome residences. There are 4 public squares, which, though small in size, are tastefully laid out. The more prominent public buildings are the city hall, court-house and jail, and school houses, the latter of which number 25, mostly well constructed of brick. It is a terminus of the Red Star line of steamships to Europe, and its commerce is returned as a portion of the New York customs-district, of which it is by law an integral part. It is also the terminus of 13 lines of railroad, viz., the Pennsylvania, the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western (Morris & Essex division), the Central of New Jersey (connecting with the Philadelphia & Reading at Bound Brook), the New York, Lake Erie & Western, the New Jersey Midland, the New York, Susquehanna & Western, the Northern Railroad of New Jersey, the New Jersey & New York, the New York & Greenwood Lake, the Newark & New York, the Jersey City & Albany, the West Shore, and the Jersey City & Bergen. Besides these roads, Jersey City has direct communication, by steam ferry, with the New York, New Haven & Hartford and New York & New England Railroads, the steamer trans porting through-cars of the Pennsylvania Railroad from its tracks in Jersey City to the tracks of the Shore Line division of the New York, New Haven & Hartford Rail road at Port Morris. In addition to the regular ferries between Jersey City and New York, the Pennsylvania Rail road and the New York, Lake Erie & Western Railroad have each a ferry direct to Brooklyn. Immense quantities of iron, coal, produce, and general merchandise are brought to and shipped from Jersey City. There are also horse railways to Hoboken and Bayonne and to all parts of the city itself. It contains 67 churches, a high school, a normal school, 3 national banks (capital, $1,300,000), 3 savings banks, 2 insurance companies, 2 Young Men's Christian Associations, and several charitable institutions. Three daily newspapers are published here.
This city is supplied with water piped from the Passaic River by means of hydraulic works at Belleville, 6 miles distant. Here are many and various manufacturing establishments, among which the more important are the Lorrillard tobacco manufactories, 2 crucible-works, 3 foundries, a foundry and machine-shop, 3 boiler-works, 3 locomotive and railroad-supply manufactories, 2 large sugar-refineries, and 2 silk-mills, besides numerous zinc-works, breweries, planing-mills, potteries, manufactories of chemicals, jewelry, fireworks, lead-pencils, candles, soap, hydrants, chains, rubber goods, castor and linseed oil, copper-ware, oakum, chains and spikes, car-springs, stoves, steam heaters, &c. It is worthy of remark that the mints of Europe, as well as those of this country, obtain their crucibles from the works of Jersey City. Here are located large stock-yards and an extensive abattoir where vast quantities of cattle and sheep are slaughtered for the New York markets. This establishment was opened in 1874, and is one of the largest, most complete, and best appointed in the United States; it drains into the river, and has rail connection directly with the Pennsylvania Railroad. The slaughtering of hogs is carried on upon the Hackensack meadows, beyond the city limits. The city is governed by a mayor and board of aldermen, and five executive boards. There is a police force of upwards of 190 men, under a superintendent, a chief, an inspector; 7 captains, and 24 sergeants, directed by a board of police commissioners. There is an efficient fire department, well appointed and well equipped, and the city has two gas companies. Public education is directly con trolled by a board of education, who elect a city superintendent, and besides the public schools above mentioned there are 10 denominational and 20 private schools and academies. The site whereon Jersey City stands was formerly called Paulus Hook, but in 1820 it was chartered as "the City of Jersey," which was changed in a subsequent charter (in 1838) to "Jersey City." The population in 1850 was 6856; in 1860,29,226; in 1870, 82,546; in 1880, 120,722; in 1890 (United States census) 163,003; the present population is about 175,000.
Lippincott's Gazetteer of the World: A Complete Pronouncing Gazetteer Or Geographical Dictionary of the World Containing Notices of Over One Hundred and Twenty-five Thousand Places ... Joseph Thomas January 1, 1895 J.B. Lippincott
Visit Jersey City, New Jersey, USA
Discover the people who lived there, the places they visited and the stories they shared.
The comments you read here belong only to the person who posted them. We reserve the right to remove off-topic and inappropriate comments.