GreenerPasture.com

Sign In



FREE genealogy since 1999 - History belongs to all of us!


Jersey City, New Jersey, USA - 1916


Jersey City, capital of Hudson co., N.J., on the right or W. bank of the Hudson River, at its entrance into New York Bay and opposite New York city, from which it is 1 mile distant and with which constant communication is maintained by several lines of ferries. It adjoins Hoboken on the N. and Newark Bay and the Hackensack River on the W. It is a terminus of several important lines of rail road, — as the Pennsylvania, the Central R. of New Jersey, the Erie, the Lehigh Valley, the West Shore, etc., — and it has also the piers of a number of Transatlantic lines of steamers. Immense quantities of iron, coal, produce, and general merchandise are brought and shipped from here. Among the more notable buildings and institutions are the city- hall, court-house, public library (with upward of 100,000 volumes), various hospitals, etc. Among the educational institutions are Hasbrouck Institute, St. Peter's College, St. Dominic's Academy, and St. Mary's Academy. Jersey City has many and various manufacturing industries, among which the more important are extensive tobacco manufactories, crucible- works, foundries and machine-shops, boiler-works, locomotive and railroad-supply manufactories, car-works, large sugar-refineries, silk-mills, numerous zinc- works, glass-works, breweries, planing-mills, potteries, manufactories of chemicals, jewelry, fireworks, lead-pencils, automobiles, candles, Soap, hydrants, rubber goods, castor and linseed oils, copper-ware, oakum, chains and spikes, oar-springs, stoves, steam heaters, etc. Here are located large stock-yards and an extensive abattoir where vast quantities of cattle and sheep are slaughtered for the New York markets. This establishment was opened in 1874 and is one of the largest, most complete, and best appointed in the United States. The slaughtering of hogs is carried on upon the Hackensack meadows, beyond the city limits. The site whereon Jersey City stands was formerly called Paulus Hook. In 1820 the place was chartered as " the City of Jersey." which was changed in a subsequent charter (in 1838) to ''Jersey City." The population in 1850 was 6856 ; in 1860, 29,226 ; in 1870, 82,546 ; in 1880, 120,722 ; in 1890, 163,003 ; in 1900, 206,433.

Lippincotts New Gazetteer: A Complete Pronouncing Gazetteer Or Geographical Dictionary of the World, Containing the Most Recent and Authentic Information Respecting the Countries, Cities, Towns, Resorts, Islands, Rivers, Mountains, Seas, Lakes, Etc., in Every Portion of the Globe, Part 1 Angelo Heilprin Louis Heilprin - January 1, 1916 J.B. Lippincott - Publisher

Visit Jersey City, New Jersey, USA
Discover the people who lived there, the places they visited and the stories they shared.


Jersey City, New Jersey, USA

Jersey City, New Jersey, USA

Jersey City, New Jersey, USA

The comments you read here belong only to the person who posted them. We reserve the right to remove off-topic and inappropriate comments.