GreenerPasture.com

Sign In




Berlin, Massachusetts, USA - 1848 - Berlin


This town was taken chiefly from Bolton, and a small part of it from Marlborough. It was made a parish by the general court in 1778, and in 1784 was incorporated a district by the name of Berlin. Here a church was formed in 1779, and in 1781 Rev. Reuben Puffer, D. D., was ordained pastor; he died in 1829, and was succeeded by Rev. Robert F. Walcut, in 1830. The next pastor, Rev. David Lamson, was settled in 1834. The first minister of the second church was Rev. Abram C. Baldwin, who was settled in 1830; his successors have been Rev. Michael Burdett and Rev. Eber S. Clark.

The most valuable uplands in this town lie on several hills, which are excellent for grazing, and a suitable proportion of it for tillage. The range extends north into Bolton, and south into Northborough. There is one pond in the east part of the place, called Gates’ Pond, 1 mile in length by half a mile in width, which abounds in fish. No brook empties into it, but at the south end there is a small outlet. The principal stream is called North Brook, and fails into the Assabet, at the S. E. corner of the town. There is a large sunken swamp lying mostly in the town, in some parts of which are large pine and spruce trees. This is entirely an agricultural town. Large quantities of hops are annually produced here. There are 2 Congregational churches, 1 of which is Unitarian. Distance, 14 miles N. E. of Worcester, and 30 W. by N. of Boston. Population, 724.

Historical Collections Relating to the History... John Warner Barber, Worcester, Warren Lazell, 1848

Visit Berlin, Massachusetts, USA
Discover the people who lived there, the places they visited and the stories they shared.


Berlin, Massachusetts, USA

Berlin, Massachusetts, USA

Berlin, Massachusetts, USA

The comments you read here belong only to the person who posted them. We reserve the right to remove off-topic and inappropriate comments.