FREE genealogy since 1999 - History belongs to all of us!
Fredericton, York, New Brunswick, Canada - 1873
FREDERICTON, a city and port of entry of New Brunswick, capital of the province and of the co. of York, is beautifully situated on a point of land on the west side of the River St. John, GO miles in a direct line N.N.W. of St. John. Lat. 45' 55 N., Ion. 45° 31 30" W. It has five streets, nearly a mile in length, prettily lined with trees, running parallel with the river. These are crossed by about a dozen others at right angles. The public buildings comprise the Parliament Buildings, the Government House, City Hall, Court House, Exhibition Building and Rink, Barracks, and University. The Parliament Buildings are built of wood, and are situated at the lower end of the town. They contain the House of Assembly and Legislative Council rooms; the Legislative Library with over 10,000 volumes, comprising many rare and valuable books; the room in which the Supreme Court (in banc) hold their sittings, and the Law Library. The Government House, at the upper extremity of the town, is a large stone mansion facing the river, surrounded by tastefully laid off grounds and shrubberies. The University is admirably situated upon the rising ground at the rear of the city. As a seat of learning it ranks high in the province. Fredericton is the seat of a Church of England Bishop. The Cathedral, a handsome edifice, is situated at the lower end of the town. The other churches belong to the Roman Catholics, Presbyterians, Wesleyan Methodists and Baptists. The St. John river, which is here $ of a mile wide, is navigable to this point, 84 miles from the Bay of Fundy, for sea-going vessels of 120 ton?;. Small steamers ascend 65 miles further to Woodstock, and during high water to the Grand Falls,75 miles above Woodstock. Fredericton is an incorporated city. Its affairs are managed by a Mayor and Corporation. Its streets are lighted with gas. It has one bank and a bank agency, one semi-weekly and four week-ly newspapers, a reading room, a tele-graph office, several life assurance and tire insurance agencies, and hotels, a number of first class stores, and manufactories of iron castings, mill machinery, leather, boots and shoes, wooden Mare, &c. It is the chief terminus of the Fredericton and the New Brunswick railways. The former connects with the European and North American railway at Fredericton Junction, and the latter is in course of construction to Riviere du Loup. The number of arrivals for 1872 was 130 (tons 10, 705), and the clearances 126 (tons 9,701.) Total value of imports $248,054 ; exports $96,447.
Fredericton was originally called St. Ann's. It was founded by Sir Guy Carleton in 1786, shortly after the erection of New Brunswick into a separate province. Pop. 6,006.
Lovell's gazetteer of British North America; J. Lovell; Montreal, 1873
Visit Fredericton, York, New Brunswick, Canada
Discover the people who lived there, the places they visited and the stories they shared.
The comments you read here belong only to the person who posted them. We reserve the right to remove off-topic and inappropriate comments.