GreenerPasture Genealogy

Sign In

BEST FREE ancestry website since 1999 - History belongs to all of us!

Add MY Family To This Page

flag  History of Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Journey back in time to Norwich, Connecticut, USA

(Norwichtown) (Yantic) (Greeneville) (Occum) (Taftville)

Visit Norwich, Connecticut, USA. Discover its history. Learn about the people who lived there through stories, old newspaper articles, pictures, postcards and ancestry.

Do You Have Norwich Roots? Share MY Ancestral Story!

Norwich, Connecticut, USA - Adams Tavern, Built 1647, Norwichtown, Conn.

Norwich, New London, Connecticut, USA

In 1670, the first survey was conducted for the first turnpike to be built in America, between Norwich and New London.

Benedict Arnold, one of the most prominent figures in Revolutionary War history, was born in Norwich. courant.com


Subscribe to our Youtube channel


Postcards and Memories of Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Subscribe to our Youtube channel


There is MUCH more to discover about Norwich, Connecticut, USA. Read on!

Norwich Nostalgia: Vintage Photos, Ads, and Postcards

Adams Tavern, Built 1647, Norwichtown, Conn.
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Adams Tavern, Built 1647, Norwichtown, Conn.
Monument - Founder's Cemetery, Post Gager Burial Ground, Norwich, New London, Connecticut -- The thi
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Photo taken by us
Pinterest    
Monument - Founder's Cemetery, Post Gager Burial Ground, Norwich, New London, Connecticut -- The thirty-five original proprietors of Norwich, Connecticut were:

Thomas Adgate, Richard Edgerton, Maj. John Mason, Robert Allyn, John Elderkin, Dr. John Olmstead, Stephen Backus, Rev. James Fitch, John Pease, Lieut.William Backus, John Gager, John Post, John Baldwin, Stephen Gifford, Josiah Reed, Thomas Bingham, Francis Griswold, John Reynolds, John Birchard, Thomas Howard, Jonathan Royce, Morgan Bowers,Christopher Huntington, Nehemiah Smith, Thomas Bliss, Simon Huntington, John Tracy, John Bradford, Samuel Hyde, Lieut. Thomas Tracy, Hugh Calkins, William Hyde, Ens. Thomas Waterman, John Calkins, Lieut. Thomas Leffingwell
Read more about Thomas TRACY
Free Academy Buildings

The Norwich Free Academy (NFA), founded in 1854 and in operation since 185
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Free Academy Buildings

The Norwich Free Academy (NFA), founded in 1854 and in operation since 1856, is a coeducational independent school for students between the 9th and 12th grade. Located in Norwich, Connecticut, the Academy serves as the primary high school for Norwich and the surrounding towns of Canterbury, Bozrah, Voluntown, Sprague, Lisbon, Franklin, Preston, and Brooklyn. wikipedia
Two Hundredth Anniversary, 1859
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Two Hundredth Anniversary, 1859
The Mill, Yantic, Conn.
museumofcthistory.org

The Yantic River provided an attractive opportunit
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
The Mill, Yantic, Conn.
museumofcthistory.org

The Yantic River provided an attractive opportunity for water-powered mills and served as the site of mill village established by Captain Erastus Williams. The history of the village began when Williams purchased an existing mill building and expanded it to make woolen cloth. In 1847, according to Lathrop, Williams started the Yantic Fire Engine Company. He also established Grace Episcopal Church.
norwichbulletin.com
Read more about Erastus Winslow WILLIAMS
Taftville Mill, Taftville, Conn.
museumofcthistory.org

Ponemah Mills in Norwich once boasted the
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Taftville Mill, Taftville, Conn.
museumofcthistory.org

Ponemah Mills in Norwich once boasted the largest textile mill in the world under one roof. The mill buildings were constructed near a dam along the west bank of the Shetucket River. The investors who founded the company were led by Edward and Cyrus Taft of Providence, Rhode Island and the manufacturing village of Taftville was built next to the mill to house and serve the mill workers. The earliest workers were Irish immigrants. After a strike in 1875, the Irish were replaced with French-Canadian workers. The first Ponemah Mill building was constructed between 1866 and 1871... historicbuildingsct.com
Hopkin's & Allen's Factory
museumofcthistory.org

Hopkins & Allen Arms Company was an American fi
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Hopkin's & Allen's Factory
museumofcthistory.org

Hopkins & Allen Arms Company was an American firearms manufacturing company based in Norwich, Connecticut, that was founded in 1868 by Charles W. Allen, Charles A. Converse, Horace Briggs, Samuel S. Hopkins and Charles W. Hopkins. wikipedia

Hopkins & Allen Company, which began operations in 1868, continued in business until 1917.

Hopkins & Allen Gun Factory was the city’s largest employer. During the Civil War, Norwich provided more arms for the Union forces than any other city. As the nation’s largest armory, Hopkins & Allen was just one of many gun factories in Norwich. hmdb.org
Ponemah Mills
museumofcthistory.org

Ponemah Mills, in operation by 1871 was one of of the larges
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Ponemah Mills
museumofcthistory.org

Ponemah Mills, in operation by 1871 was one of of the largest textile mills in the United States for many years. The large original buildings were started in April 1866 and began operation November 16, 1871. Additional mills were built in 1884 and 1902 , and the large weave shed in 1910.
historic-structures.com
Court House

In 1869, the Connecticut General Assembly passed an act giving the town of Norwich an
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Court House

In 1869, the Connecticut General Assembly passed an act giving the town of Norwich and the county of New London power to combine to erect a building for town, city and county purposes. This building would include a courthouse and would be financed by the town of Norwich and New London County. After almost three years of construction, a portion of the building was opened in 1873 when the first session of the Superior Court was held on November 11th.

The building stood at the junction of Broadway and Union Streets, facing Otis Square... The total cost for the building was approximately $350,000. jud.ct.gov
New London and Norwich
Picturesque America... Oliver Bell Bunce, William Cullen Bryant
New York: D
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Artwork
Pinterest    
New London and Norwich
Picturesque America... Oliver Bell Bunce, William Cullen Bryant
New York: D. Appleton & Co., 1872-1874.
St. Patrick's Church, 1906

...The cornerstone of the church was laid on July 13, 1873; parishione
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
St. Patrick's Church, 1906

...The cornerstone of the church was laid on July 13, 1873; parishioners paid ten cents a week to finance the construction. St. Patrick's parish was incorporated in 1878. The formal opening and dedication for the new church was held on September 28, 1879... wikipedia
Home of the late David A. Wells
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Home of the late David A. Wells
Read more about David Ames WELLS photo of ancestor
Slater Memorial Hall, 1906

The J. F. Slater Memorial Museum, also known as Slater Memorial Museum
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Slater Memorial Hall, 1906

The J. F. Slater Memorial Museum, also known as Slater Memorial Museum, is an historic building and art museum on the grounds of the Norwich Free Academy in Norwich, Connecticut, built in 1885 and dedicated in 1886.

In 1884 William Albert Slater, the son of a wealthy Norwich industrialist, offered to memorialize his father, John Fox Slater, with a new building at the Norwich Free Academy. He chose noted Worcester, Massachusetts architect, Stephen C. Earle, to create a distinctive design...
slatermuseum.org
Read more about William Albert SLATER photo of ancestor
Thanksgiving Barrel Burning, Norwich, Conn.
Painesville Telegraph
Painesville, Lake County, Ohio
Norwich, Connecticut, USA
Pinterest    
Thanksgiving Barrel Burning, Norwich, Conn.
Painesville Telegraph
Painesville, Lake County, Ohio
Nov 29, 1888
Discover you family history through historical newspapers at Newspapers.com
Depot
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Depot
East Main St. looking West
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
East Main St. looking West
Corner Main and Shetucket Streets
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Corner Main and Shetucket Streets
Norwich Savings Society's Building

The Norwich Savings Society, the second oldest savings bank in
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Norwich Savings Society's Building

The Norwich Savings Society, the second oldest savings bank in Connecticut, was founded in 1824. The Norwich Savings Society building, at 162-4 Main Street, in downtown Norwich, was built between 1893 and 1895, with an addition being constructed in the 1970s. historicbuildingsct.com
Washington Street looking North
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Washington Street looking North
Central Fire Station
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Central Fire Station
Ossawn Mills Co., Norwich, Conn., 1898
Manufacturers of Bicycle Lacing Cord and Dress Guard Nets, C
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Advertisement
Pinterest    
Ossawn Mills Co., Norwich, Conn., 1898
Manufacturers of Bicycle Lacing Cord and Dress Guard Nets, Crown Hangers, Franklin Hooks, Brass and Steel Picture Hooks, Picture Wire, Shade Cords, Solid Braided Cords, Clothes-lines, Chalk-lines, Picture and Shade Hardware, Drapery Pins, Gilt Nails, Bright Wire Goods, Spool Wire, Flower Wire, &c., &c.
museumofcthistory.org
Bird's Eye View from Laurel Hill, Norwich, Conn.
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Bird's Eye View from Laurel Hill, Norwich, Conn.
Preston Bridge, Shetucket River, Norwich, Conn.
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Preston Bridge, Shetucket River, Norwich, Conn.
Norwich, Conn.
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Norwich, Conn.
First Baptist Church
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
First Baptist Church
View on Broadway
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
View on Broadway
Franklin Square
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Franklin Square
Masonic Temple, 1905
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Masonic Temple, 1905
Christs Episcopal Church, 1906
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Christs Episcopal Church, 1906
Mill and Cottages, Yantic, Conn.
museumofcthistory.org

Captain Erastus Williams renamed West Far
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Mill and Cottages, Yantic, Conn.
museumofcthistory.org

Captain Erastus Williams renamed West Farm and called in Yantic. This name was derived from the Mohegan Indian origin, “Yantick,” meaning Little River. Williams built the Yantic Mill, the Church, the Mill Houses, Store, and Fire Department.
theforgottenfounders.com
Read more about Erastus Winslow WILLIAMS
Broadway School House
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Broadway School House
Broadway Theatre
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Broadway Theatre
Municipal Gas and Electric Plant, 1909
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Municipal Gas and Electric Plant, 1909
View of Yantic, Conn.
museumofcthistory.org
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
View of Yantic, Conn.
museumofcthistory.org
Laurel Hill, 1909
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Laurel Hill, 1909
Norwich Inn Equestrians
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Norwich Inn Equestrians
Broadway North from Broad St.
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Broadway North from Broad St.
Broadway from Shannon Building

In 1909, a massive fire destroyed the original Shannon Building in
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Broadway from Shannon Building

In 1909, a massive fire destroyed the original Shannon Building in downtown Norwich. It was a large commercial and apartment building, built in 1892 by a local Irish businessman and real estate developer named James B. “Big Jim” Shannon. It was rebuilt the following year as a fireproof structure.
historicbuildingsct.com
Falls and Canon on Yantic River
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Falls and Canon on Yantic River
View of the Harbor, 1910
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
View of the Harbor, 1910
Taftville Mill, 1910
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Taftville Mill, 1910
Trinity Episcopal Church
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Trinity Episcopal Church
Velvet Mill
museumofcthistory.org
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Velvet Mill
museumofcthistory.org
Hubbard Paper Mill
museumofcthistory.org

James Lanman Hubbard (1832-1890), a wealthy paper manuf
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Hubbard Paper Mill
museumofcthistory.org

James Lanman Hubbard (1832-1890), a wealthy paper manufacturer and director of the Thames National Bank. His sister Marianna was married to the manufacturer John Fox Slater... historicbuildingsct.com
Read more about James Lanman HUBBARD
Mill, Occum, Conn.
museumofcthistory.org

Another mill village, Occum, developed along the Shetuc
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Mill, Occum, Conn.
museumofcthistory.org

Another mill village, Occum, developed along the Shetucket River and took its name from Samson Occom. A member of the Mohegan Tribe, Occom – whose name was often misspelled as Occum and Alcom – became a Presbyterian cleric and was among the first Native Americans to publish his writings in English.

By 1865, the village was the site of two woolen mills and in the following decade was the site of one of the first three Catholic churches built in Norwich... norwichbulletin.com
Read more about Samson OCCOM photo of ancestor
Mill & Village, Taftville, Conn.
museumofcthistory.org
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Mill & Village, Taftville, Conn.
museumofcthistory.org
Broad Street School
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Broad Street School
Union Square, looking West
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Union Square, looking West
Haile Club Tally-Ho
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Haile Club Tally-Ho
West Side Paper Mill
museumofcthistory.org
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
West Side Paper Mill
museumofcthistory.org
Edgemere Hall, Wa-Wog Camps
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Edgemere Hall, Wa-Wog Camps
Bird's Eye View by Night, Greenville, Norwich, Conn.
museumofcthistory.org

William P. Greene inc
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Bird's Eye View by Night, Greenville, Norwich, Conn.
museumofcthistory.org

William P. Greene incorporated his Water Power Company in 1828 in order to bring waters from the Shetucket River into manufacturing use. norwichbulletin.com
Bulkhead, Taftville, Conn.
museumofcthistory.org
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Bulkhead, Taftville, Conn.
museumofcthistory.org
Falls and Mills from Indian Leap
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Falls and Mills from Indian Leap
Davis Theatre, 1920s

Located on Broadway at the corner of Willow Street. The Davis Theatre was op
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Davis Theatre, 1920s

Located on Broadway at the corner of Willow Street. The Davis Theatre was opened by 1906. By 1926 it had been re-named Broadway Theatre. By 1941 it was operated by Warner Bros. Circuit Management Corp. It was closed around 1942 and was demolished around 1950. cinematreasures.org
The Lake, looking North, Mohegan Park
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
The Lake, looking North, Mohegan Park
Main Street from Shetucket Street
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Main Street from Shetucket Street
Thos. Lamb with S. Crane, Nurseryman, Great Plain
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Advertisement
Pinterest    
Thos. Lamb with S. Crane, Nurseryman, Great Plain
Women's Shack, Tuberculosis Sanatorium
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Women's Shack, Tuberculosis Sanatorium
Mill and Village, Occum, Conn.
museumofcthistory.org
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Mill and Village, Occum, Conn.
museumofcthistory.org
Read more about Samson OCCOM photo of ancestor
Mill No. 2, Taftville, Conn.
museumofcthistory.org
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Mill No. 2, Taftville, Conn.
museumofcthistory.org
Ponemah Mills, Taftville, Conn.
museumofcthistory.org
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Ponemah Mills, Taftville, Conn.
museumofcthistory.org
Yantic Woolen Mill, Yantic, Conn.
museumofcthistory.org
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Yantic Woolen Mill, Yantic, Conn.
museumofcthistory.org
Mill No. 4, Taftville, Conn.
museumofcthistory.org
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Mill No. 4, Taftville, Conn.
museumofcthistory.org
Taftville, Conn. from Tower of Mill
museumofcthistory.org
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Taftville, Conn. from Tower of Mill
museumofcthistory.org
Mill No. 1, Taftville, Conn.
museumofcthistory.org
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Mill No. 1, Taftville, Conn.
museumofcthistory.org
Norwich Ave., Taftville, Conn.
museumofcthistory.org
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Norwich Ave., Taftville, Conn.
museumofcthistory.org
Rear of Mills, Taftville, Conn.
museumofcthistory.org
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Rear of Mills, Taftville, Conn.
museumofcthistory.org
Views of Taftville, Conn.
museumofcthistory.org
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Views of Taftville, Conn.
museumofcthistory.org
Wet Wash
Taftville, Conn.
museumofcthistory.org
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Wet Wash
Taftville, Conn.
museumofcthistory.org
U.S. Finishing Company,
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
U.S. Finishing Company, "GREENVILLE," Norwich, Conn.
museumofcthistory.org

Greeneville was an industrial village built in the vicinity of the Quinebaug Company's textile mill around the time of the Civil War (~1840 and onward). This mill was later re-organized as the Shetucket Company and was one of the major manufacturers in area until ??. Other mills included Chelsea Manufacturing Company (paper), Norwich Bleaching, Dying and Printing Company (which later became the United States Finishing Company), Camp, Hall & Company (later becoming the Chelsea Paper Company and then the Uncas Paper Company), Hubbard Company (paper). Smaller companies included a wood type factory, a foundry and a gristmill. localwiki.org
Post Office and B.P.O. Elks, No. 430
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Post Office and B.P.O. Elks, No. 430
American THERMOS Bottle Company
museumofcthistory.org

The plant was the primary factory where Th
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
American THERMOS Bottle Company
museumofcthistory.org

The plant was the primary factory where Thermos brand vacuum flask bottles were manufactured from 1913 to 1984. The plant is historically significant to its connection to the Thermos Company and the history of Norwich. wikipedia
Universalist Church
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Universalist Church
Shetucket Co. Cotton Mill,
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Postcard
Pinterest    
Shetucket Co. Cotton Mill, "Greenville," Norwich, Conn.
museumofcthistory.org
Plaque in memory of Benedict Arnold family - Old Burying Grounds, Norwich, New London, Connecticut.
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Photo taken by us
Pinterest    
Plaque in memory of Benedict Arnold family - Old Burying Grounds, Norwich, New London, Connecticut.
Read more about Benedict ARNOLD
Home of Samuel Huntington, Washington Street, Norwich, New London, Connecticut
Norwich, Connecticut, USA

Photo taken by us
Pinterest    
Home of Samuel Huntington, Washington Street, Norwich, New London, Connecticut
Read more about Simon HUNTINGTON

Discover Norwich: History, News, Travel, and Stories

Add informationAdd History/News/Story
Norwich justice
The penalties at this time (first half of 18th century) were :

For drunkenness, a fine, (5s. to 10s.,) or to sit in the stocks a couple of hours.

Not attending public worship when there was no necessary detention, 5s.

Profane swearing, 10s.

Sabbath-breaking, by labor or vain recreation, making disturbance, or laughing during the service in the House of God, 5s.

Assault and battery, or abusive words, blows and injuries, — fines or imprisonment, at discretion of the justice.

Incontinence, births out of wedlock, or too soon after marriage, £10.
History of Norwich, Connecticut: From Its Possession by the Indians to the Year 1866 Author Frances Manwaring Caulkins Publisher By H.P. Haven, 1874
1720 Flood
Sept. 4, 1720. " The flood raised Norwich river to a prodigious height; stacks of hay floated down ; it carried away the bridge by the meeting house and much fence." [Hempstead's Diary.]
History of Norwich, Connecticut: From Its Possession by the Indians to the Year 1866 Author Frances Manwaring Caulkins Publisher By H.P. Haven, 1874
1722 - Clever Indian in Norwich
An Indian being found drunk, was brought before Mr. Justice Bushnell, and sentenced according to the statute, namely, to pay a fine of ten shillings, or receive ten lashes on his naked body. The Indian immediately accuses Samuel Bliss of selling him that afternoon that which made him drunk, to wit, two pots of cider. The fine for selling cider or ardent spirits to an Indian was twenty shillings, one-half to go to the complainant. The Indian thus obtained just the sum requisite to pay his own mulet, and set his body clear.
History of Norwich, Connecticut: From Its Possession by the Indians to the Year 1866 Author Frances Manwaring Caulkins Publisher By H.P. Haven, 1874
In the freshet of February, 1727, four of the town bridges were swept away, and among them was this which crossed the Shetucket.

History of Norwich, Connecticut: From Its Possession by the Indians to the Year 1866 Author Frances Manwaring Caulkins Publisher By H.P. Haven, 1874
1729 Norwich town common established
In 1729, the proprietors agree, vote, and grant, "that the Plain in the Town Platt, called the meeting house, plain, with all the contents and extent of it," as it now lyeth, shall be and remain, to be, and lye common for public use for tho whole town forever, without alteration."
History of Norwich, Connecticut: From Its Possession by the Indians to the Year 1866 Author Frances Manwaring Caulkins Publisher By H.P. Haven, 1874
1729 Flood (Norwich)
The Boston News-Letter notices an extraordinary flood of the Shetucket at Norwich, 28th of February, 1729. The warehouses at the Landing were much injured, but the newspaper adds the compensatory information, "there was fine bass-fishing after it," — twenty thousand bass having been taken in the river a little below the point.
History of Norwich, Connecticut: From Its Possession by the Indians to the Year 1866 Author Frances Manwaring Caulkins Publisher By H.P. Haven, 1874
1730 - Norwich Rattlesnakes
1730. Voted, that whosoever shall kill a rattlesnake within this township at any time within one year ensuing, except in the three summer months, and produce one joint of the bone and its toil shall have two shillings for each snake so killed.
History of Norwich, Connecticut: From Its Possession by the Indians to the Year 1866 Author Frances Manwaring Caulkins Publisher By H.P. Haven, 1874
1737 Flood (Norwich)
A thaw and freshet of unusual power and rapidity of action occurred Jan. 16, 1737. The Shetucket above its outlet being impeded by a solid bed of ice, the rushing flood was suddenly thrown back, and spreading over the low land, rose to twenty feet in ten minutes, sweeping off three warehouses with all their contents, and injuring several others. Blocks of ice were left in some instances on the roofs of buildings.
History of Norwich, Connecticut: From Its Possession by the Indians to the Year 1866 Author Frances Manwaring Caulkins Publisher By H.P. Haven, 1874
In 1751 (Norwich) the selectmen were empowered to prosecute with vigor all who should sell or convey land to strangers, and all sales of this kind were declared null and void.
Orders were given likewise that no strangers should remain in the town without the public consent, and this consent seems to have been very cautiously dispensed. Applications were frequently made for permission to stay in town for a limited time, but this was seldom granted without some condition annexed ; such as, if he then remove, — if he behave himself, — if he do not become chargeable. These votes stretch down to 1769.
History of Norwich, Connecticut: From Its Possession by the Indians to the Year 1866 Author Frances Manwaring Caulkins Publisher By H.P. Haven, 1874
1764 - Leffingwell's Bridge completed (Norwich)
June 20, 1764. " Leffingwell's Bridge over Shetacket river at Norwich Landing it completed. It is 124 feet in length, and 28 feet above the water. Nothing is placed between the abutments, but the bridge is supported by Geometry work above and calculated to bear a weight of 500 tons. The work is by Mr. John Bliss, one of the most curious mechanics of the age. The bridge was raised in two days and no one hurt. The former bridge was 28 days in raising."
History of Norwich, Connecticut: From Its Possession by the Indians to the Year 1866 Author Frances Manwaring Caulkins Publisher By H.P. Haven, 1874
1767 - 240 Acadians leave Norwich for Quebec
Norwich, as well as other towns in Connecticut, was taxed with the support of a certain number of the French Neutrals, a harmless and much-abused people, who in the year 1755 were driven from their seats in Acadia or Nova Scotia by their English conquerors, and forced to take refuge in New England. Many of them subsequently returned to Canada. Capt. Richard Leffingwell, in the brig Pitt, carried 240 of these French peasants with their priest to Quebec in 1767.
History of Norwich, Connecticut: From Its Possession by the Indians to the Year 1866 Author Frances Manwaring Caulkins Publisher By H.P. Haven, 1874
In 1773, the first Newspaper was established in Norwich.
The proprietors and printers were Alexander Robertson, James Robertson, and John Trumbull, under the firm of Robertsons & Trumbull. It had a flourishing head-piece inclosing the rude cut of a ship under full sail, and an imposing title, making pretensions to a wide circulation. Price, six shillings and eight pence per annum.
History of Norwich, Connecticut: From Its Possession by the Indians to the Year 1866 Author Frances Manwaring Caulkins Publisher By H.P. Haven, 1874
1784 - Norwich Incorporated as a City
This was part of the area known as Mohegin. Several men from Saybrook began a settlement in 1659 and obtained a deed from Uncas, Sachem of the Mohegans. For several years the settlement was known as "the new township of Mohegan." It was also referred to as New-Norwich. It is first called, Norridge, in the Colony records of 1660/ 1 but gradually becomes "Norwich." The City of Norwich was incorporated in 1784.

www.csginc.org/ csg_city_details.php?id=104
Timeline of Connecticut History
1784 Flood (Norwich)
Jan. 8, 1784, was distinguished by a yet greater and more sweeping freshet, which affected both the Yantic and the Shetucket. Several mills and bridges on the upper courses were swept away, and large quantities of lumber came floating down the streams. Happily there was but little ice in the Thames, to obstruct the downward flow, and Chelsea escaped inundation. A slaughter-house near the wharf bridge was swept off with all its contents, beef, hides, tallow, cooperage, and tools, and not a vestige left.
History of Norwich, Connecticut: From Its Possession by the Indians to the Year 1866 Author Frances Manwaring Caulkins Publisher By H.P. Haven, 1874
1789 Flood (Norwich)
The year 1789 was marked by a June freshet. For two days, the 10th and 11th of the month, the rains were continuous and flood-like, causing a rapid rise in all the streams that feed the Thames. The Shetucket and Yantie, swollen by their impetuous tributaries, sweeping aside bridges, mills and dams, deluging corn-fields, and precipitating large rocks upon the meadows, came rushing down upon Norwich Landing, and lifted the river nearly to it level with its lower tier of roofs. This flood, however, was of brief duration. The waters passed over with a furious swash, and then quietly subsided.
History of Norwich, Connecticut: From Its Possession by the Indians to the Year 1866 Author Frances Manwaring Caulkins Publisher By H.P. Haven, 1874
1792 - First turnpike road company, New London to Norwich, incorporated.
After the American Revolution, Connecticut granted franchises for the building of ‘toll’ roads or turnpikes, and in 1792 the first turnpike in Connecticut and in New England (the second in the country) linked Norwich and New London. www.cthistoryonline.org/ cho/ journeys/ j_infra_trans_early.html
Timeline of Connecticut History
1795 - First insurance company incorporated as the Mutual Assurance Company of the City of Norwich.
...This great fire of 1793 quickened public opinion in regard to the benefits to be derived from insurance. Within twenty days after the catastrophe, the inhabitants were invited by a committee, consisting of Ebenezer Huntington, Joseph Perkins, Joshua Huntington and Roger Griswold, to meet at the court-house and for am association against future calamitous losses. A company was organized, chartered, and went into operation in 1795, under the title of the "Mutual Assurance Company," for insuring houses and other buildings from losses by fire: the badge, Mutual Assurance, and the policies to run seven years.


History of Norwich, Connecticut: From Its Possession by the Indians to the Year 1866
Author Frances Manwaring Caulkins
Publisher By H.P. Haven, 1874
Page 553
Timeline of Connecticut History
1796 - The Norwich Courier was founded by Thomas Hubbard, November 30, 1796
The original Norwich Courier was 18 x 11 inches in size, with four pages. February 12, 1817, Theophilus R. Martin joined with Mr. Hubbard in printing the paper and continued in it for two years. In 1822 Thomas Robinson and John Dunham bought out Mr. Hubbard, and they jointly carried on the paper until 1825...

In 1860 paper merges with the Morning Bulletin and continues as Norwich Bulletin to present.

Century Club of American Newspapers
Publisher St. Louis republic, 1909
Page 2

Timeline of Connecticut History
1797 Flood (Norwich)
Jan. 29, 1797, was marked by a peculiar freshet resulting from a January thaw. The smaller rivers were broken up, and heavy blocks of ice sweeping downwards committed great havoc in their course. The court house bridge was so thoroughly broken up that only a heap of fragments remained. It was compared to a wreck made by thousands of hammers.
History of Norwich, Connecticut: From Its Possession by the Indians to the Year 1866 Author Frances Manwaring Caulkins Publisher By H.P. Haven, 1874
The annual Thanksgiving was a day of great hilarity, although its time- honored essential characteristic was a sermon. A peculiar adjunct of this festival in Norwich was a barrel bonfire.
A lofty pole was erected, around which a pyramid of old barrels was arranged, — large at the platform, but a single barrel well tarred forming the apex. The burning of this pile constituted the revelry or triumphant part of the entertainment, and was considered by the young as indispensable to a finished Thanksgiving. When built upon the plain, the whole valley was lighted up by the blaze, like a regal saloon : and when upon a height, the column of flame sent forth a flood of light over woods and vales, houses and streams below, producing a truly picturesque effect.
History of Norwich, Connecticut: From Its Possession by the Indians to the Year 1866 Author Frances Manwaring Caulkins Publisher By H.P. Haven, 1874
1807 Flood and Fire (Norwich)
After the present century came in, the first great flood was in 1807. The rivers began to break up on Saturday night, Feb. 7th. The cracking of the vast blocks of ice was like the crash of thunder. The Shetucket rose eighteen or twenty feet. Lord's and Lathrop's bridges were swept away. On Sunday morning, fire was cried through the streets, and alarm bells were rung. For many years no such inundation had been known. The current swept over East Chelsea, and for a time gave it the appearance of a lake, with a few house's lifting their roofs above the waters.

The flood rose so rapidly that several families were taken by surprise and imprisoned in their houses. They retreated to the upper stories, but when the water came within a few inches of the second floors, it was considered unsafe for them to remain, and they were brought away in boats, into which they dropped from the windows.. From hill to hill, all Franklin and East Main street was an expanse of water.

At the intersection ... Read MORE...

1819 - Norwich
Norwich, a wealthy commercial post town, and the semi-seat of justice of the county, is situated at the head of navigation, on the Thames or Pequot river, in north lat. 41 degrees 34' and west lon. 72 degrees 29'. It is 13 miles north of New-London, and 38 southeast of Hartford; bounded on the north by Franklin, on the east by the Shetucket and Thames rivers, which separate it from Lisbon and Preston, on the south by Montville, and on the west by Franklin and Bozrah. The township has an average length of 7 miles, with a medium breadth of about 3 miles, comprising an area of about 21 square miles...
A Gazetteer of the States of Connecticut and Rhode-Island: Written with Care and Impartiality, from Original and Authentic Materials : Consisting of Two Parts ... with an Accurate and Improved Map of Each State Authors John Chauncey Pease, John Milton Niles Publisher W.S. Marsh, 1819
1823 Flood (Norwich)
A remarkable freshet occurred on the 6th of March, 1823, which was caused by a rain of twenty four hours continuance falling upon a deep snow. Six bridges over the Yantic were carried away, viz, three in Norwich, two in Bozrah, Cat Col. Fitch's iron-works and Bozrahville,] and one in Franklin. The oil-mill at Bean Hill was swept off, and the oil-mill and machine-shop near the Falls much injured. On the wharf bridge some of the buildings were shifted in their position, or partly turned round, and the Methodist chapel, which stood on the bridge, was swept away entire, moving off majestically like a ship from her moorings, bowing to the waves and righting herself again, floating a mile down the river before any part of it was broken, and the frame keeping together, according to report, until it passed into the Sound. It had been decorated with evergreens for some previous festive occasion, and these ornaments had not been removed when it sailed so gallantly away. This incident of the... Read MORE...

1835 Flood (Norwich)
March 11, 1835, ushered in a freshet similar to that of 1823. the water rising twelve or fifteen feet. The walls, sheds, and small buildings along the banks of the Shetucket were swept away like chaff. Lathrop's bridge was broken up ; a shanty used by workmen on the Norwich and Worcester Railroad was carried past the city without breaking; another building in which some persons were collected was submerged nearly to the roof, and the occupants were taken from it by boats. Two horses which were carried away and were seen passing down the river, helplessly tossed about in the torrent, formed an impressive feature of the scene.
History of Norwich, Connecticut: From Its Possession by the Indians to the Year 1866 Author Frances Manwaring Caulkins Publisher By H.P. Haven, 1874
1839 - Norwich
Norwich, Connecticut
One of the chief towns of New London county. Norwich city is situated at the head of navigation of Thames river, at the point of land formed by the junction of the Shetucket and Yantic rivers, whose united waters constitute the Thames. The main part of the city is built on the southern declivity of a high and rocky hill: the houses are built in tiers, rising above one another. The city, as it is approached from the south, presents one of the most beautiful, interesting, and romantic prospects in the state. The buildings, which are mostly painted white, appear in full view for a considerable distance down the river; these, contrasted with the deep green foliage covering the rocky and elevated banks of the river, give a picturesque variety to the scene, forming on the water a delightful avenue to the city. There are in this city, (or as it was formerly called, Chelsea or Norwich Landing,) a court house and town hall. A high school for boys, and a female academy, in ... Read MORE...

1854 - Norwich
Norwich, a city and semi-capital of New London county, Connecticut, at the head of navigation on the Thames river, where it receives the Yantic, 13 miles N. from New London. This is a beautiful city, built on a steep acclivity facing the S., the edifices rising in terraces street above street, making a delightful appearance as approached by the river. In wealth and population it ranks first in the county. It contains, besides the county buildings, a town ball, and 8 or 9 churches. Two newspapers are published. The financial institutions are 6 banks, a saving institution having on deposite $1,115,169, and 3 insurance companies. The confluent streams which here form the Thames, afford excellent water-power, which is extensively used in manufacturing. The principal articles produced are paper, cotton and woollen goods, pottery, ropes, leather, &c. The city has communication with the seaboard and interior by two lines of railway — the Norwich and Worcester, and the New London,... Read MORE...

1854 Floods (Norwich)
Feb. 8, 1854, most of the wharves were submerged by the breaking up of the ice, and the basements of buildings near the river filled with water. Central wharf and the Junction railway were overflowed. At the freight depot of the New London and Norwich Railroad, the rails were covered to the depth of eighteen inches.

On the 30th of April, the same year, a violent storm caused another inundation ; the currents of the Yantic and Shetucket struggling together, threw the water back, and the wharf bridge was partially destroyed.
History of Norwich, Connecticut: From Its Possession by the Indians to the Year 1866 Author Frances Manwaring Caulkins Publisher By H.P. Haven, 1874
1857 Flood
The 9th and 10th of February, 1857, were marked by a freshet which might be called the Half-century Flood, as occurring so near the anniversary of that of 1807. The destruction of property was greatest in the last instance. The heavy timbers from Lord's and Lathrop's bridges came floating down with fearful power. In the flood of 1807 it was East Chelsea that was submerged, the rise of water being in the Shetucket and in Stony brook ; but in that of 1857, the water front of the city was swept over by the raging flood. The river below was blocked up by the ice, and the loosened streams meeting with this obstruction, were thrown back upon the wharves and buildings of Water street in a sudden deluge, which however performed its mission at once, and having opened a passage below, rapidly retreated.
History of Norwich, Connecticut: From Its Possession by the Indians to the Year 1866 Author Frances Manwaring Caulkins Publisher By H.P. Haven, 1874
1861 - Norwich, Conn., April 14. - The excitement produced by the war news was never equalled here. All our people are read to uphold the Government, and hundreds are ready to enlist.

genealogybank.com
Philadelphia Inquirer
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
April 15, 1861
1865 Norwich - " A copperhead snake three feet long was killed by two young men in the woods near this city, May 21, 1865."

History of Norwich, Connecticut: From Its Possession by the Indians to the Year 1866 Author Frances Manwaring Caulkins Publisher By H.P. Haven, 1874
1883 - A FAMOUS HOSTELRY BURNED. - THE BRASE BULL INN IN CONNECTICUT DESTROYED BY FIRE.
NORWICH, Conn., Dec. 23 - The oldest house in Windham County, a large wood colored edifice of the "lean to" period, which greatly antedated the revolution, having been built in 1710, has been burned in Thompson the past week. It was famous old inn christened as the "Brase Bull," and bore over the front door a miniature bull of old-fashioned hammered brass, which was also swallowed up in the flames. In the days of the then great New York, Hartford and Boston turnpike it was a changing station for the stage horses, and when the stage route vanished at the approach of the railroads it feebly held its own as a Summer resort. It had little diamond window-panes, wide fireplaces, and outer doors cut in halves, after the original New England style, which suffered the lower part of the door to be used as a breast-work against the onslaught of Indians. From its situation, on the apex of Washington Heights, a charming bird's-eye view in the different States of Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and... Read MORE...

1887 - NORWICH, Conn., March 16. - St. Patrick's Catholic Church was damaged to the extent of $10,000 by fire to-day.
The building cost $250,000, and is insured for $52,000. The fire was caused by a careless altar boy dropping a coal from the censer.
Dallas Morning News
Dallas, Texas
March 17, 1887


Subscribe to our Youtube channel


1889 - A SACRIFICE TO MAMMON. Coroner Park's Idea of New Freight Cars Should be Constricted.
NORWICH, Conn., July 2. - Coroner Park has filed another unique verdict in the case of John Pender of New London, a brakeman, who met his death by falling from a car one night last week. After reciting with much particularity the known and supposed circumstances, the coroner continues:

'I find that John Pender's death is directly chargeable to the perilous requirement of brakemen on freight cars as now constructed, in being furnished with a footway of a board or boards from fifteen to twenty inches wide on the top of the cars and being required at all hours, and in all weather, to pass on this narrow footway over cars of different heights to set brakes---in which duty a mis-step, or a slip, sends them to their death---and so an army of our most active young men go yearly to their death, a sacrifice to mammon!

And there was no way to avoid it! I say yes! A thousand times yes! One way may be: Let freight cars be constructed with a short platform at either end, where the brakeman... Read MORE...

1895 - Norwich
Nor'wich, a city of Connecticut, and semi-capital of New London co., is finely situated on the Thames River, here formed by the confluence of the Shetucket and the Yantic, 13 miles N. of New London, and about 36 miles E.S.E. of Hartford. It is mostly built on the sides and summit of a steep eminence which rises between the Shetucket and Yantic Rivers, and in 2 or 3 small valleys. It is noted for its beautiful residences, which occupy several terraces in the most elevated parts of the city. Broadway and Washington street are noble avenues, lined with mansions and gardens. Norwich is at the head of navigation, has a commodious harbor, and is on the Norwich & Worcester Railroad, at its junction with the New London Northern Rail road. Steamboats ply between this city and New York. It contains a court-house, 25 churches, a public library, a theatre, a masonic temple, a business college, the Norwich Free Academy, liberally endowed, the Slater Art Museum, 5 national banks, with a capital of... Read MORE...

1906
Norwich, a city, semi-capital of New London co., Conn., finely situated on the Thames River, here formed by the confluence of the Shetucket and the Yantic, 13 miles N. of New London, on the New York, New Haven and Hartford and the Central Vermont Rs. It is noted for its beautiful residences which occupy several terraces in the most elevated parts of the city. Norwich is at the head of navigation and has a commodious harbor. It contains a court-house, public library, theatre, masonic temple, the Norwich Free Academy, with the Slater Art Museum, the St. Patrick's Roman Catholic Church, etc. The branches of the Thames afford water-power here for various kinds of manufactories, which are very numerous and extensive. The products of these are cotton goods, woollens, velvets and silks, paper and leather, belting, locks, machinery, cutlery, fine-arms, iron pipes, etc. There is also considerable ship-building. Pop. of the city in 1900, 17,251; of the township (town), which includes Norwich... Read MORE...

1913 - BOAT TRAIN WRECKED.
One Woman Badly Injured in Accident Near Norwich.

Special to The New York Times.

NEW LONDON, Conn., Sept. 13. - Central Vermont train running from Brattleboro to New London to connect with a boat for New York, was derailed near Norwich, at 9 o'clock to-night. The locomotive left the rails and plunged down an embankment, but the cars remained on the track.

Only one passenger was badly injured. She is Mrs. Marie Cram, a nurse, residing at Norwich.

The other passengers were transferred to trolley cars and sent to New London.
The New York Times
New York, New York
September 14, 1913
1967 - March 5 - WEDN TV channel 53 in Norwich, CT (PBS) begins broadcasting

historyorb.com
2023 - Here's a list of places to go and things to do in Norwich:
Norwich Heritage and Regional Visitors Center: Start your visit here to get an overview of the city's history and pick up maps and brochures for your exploration. The center often has exhibits and information about local events.

Leffingwell House Museum: This historic house museum is a great place to learn about the early days of Norwich. It's a beautifully preserved colonial-era home with guided tours available.

Slater Memorial Museum: Located on the campus of Norwich Free Academy, this museum houses an impressive collection of art and artifacts from around the world. It's a great spot for art enthusiasts.

Mystic Aquarium: While not in Norwich itself, Mystic Aquarium is just a short drive away. It's a fantastic place to see marine life, including beluga whales, sea lions, and penguins.

Norwich Arts Center: Check out this venue for a variety of arts events, from live music and theater performances to art exhibitions.

Norwich Falls: Take a stroll along the Yantic River... Read MORE...

Discover MY Roots: Norwich Ancestry

Ancestors Who Were Born or Died in Norwich, Connecticut, USA

We currently have information about 810 ancestors who were born or died in Norwich.

View Them Now (sorted by year of birth)



Ancestors Who Were Married in Norwich, Connecticut, USA

We currently have information about ancestors who were married in Norwich.

View Them Now

male ancestorThomas BINGHAM (5 June 1642 - 16 January 1729) and female ancestorMary RUDD (4 August 1648 - 15 August 1726) married 12 December 1666
male ancestorStephen BACKUS (1640 - 1695) and female ancestorSarah SPENCER (27 July 1644 - 1707) married December 1666
male ancestorThomas WATERMAN (30 November 1644 - 19 June 1708) and female ancestorMiriam TRACY (1648 - 9 July 1732) married November 1668
male ancestorThomas SLUMAN (1 August 1647 - 1683) and female ancestorSarah BLISS (26 August 1647 - 29 August 1730) married 16 December 1668
male ancestorRichard COOKE (1638 - 1695) and female ancestorGrace LARABEE? (1642 - 1700) married 1669
male ancestorRichard BUSHNELL (10 September 1652 - 27 August 1727) and female ancestorElizabeth ADGATE (10 October 1651 - 1713) married 7 December 1672
male ancestorThomas LEFFINGWELL (27 August 1649 - 5 Mar 1724) and female ancestorMary BUSHNELL (4 January 1654 - 2 December 1745) married 7 September 1672
male ancestorJoseph BUSHNELL (2 May 1651 - 23 December 1746) and female ancestorMary LEFFINGWELL (10 December 1654 - 31 March 1745) married 28 November 1673
male ancestorWilliam BRADFORD (17 June 1624 - 20 February 1704) and female ancestorSarah UNKNOWN (1630 - 1676) married 1674

Genealogy Resources for Norwich

History of Norwich, Connecticut: From Its Possession by the Indians to the Year 1866 Author Frances Manwaring Caulkins Publisher By H.P. Haven, 1874

Probate Records of Norwich, Connecticut, Vols. 1-3

The Bottum (Longbottom) Family Album. An Historical and Biographical Genealogy of the Descendants of Daniel (-1732) and Elizabeth (Lamb) Longbottom of Norwich, Connecticut. Rebekah D. Oliver. (1970)

Perkins, Mary E. "Old houses of the antient [sic] town of Norwich, 1660-1800 : with maps, illustrations, portraits, and genealogies"

Connecticut Newspapers

Our Norwich Gift Ideas

Not the place you are looking for? Try again!

Search for MY Family by Place

To search for a place, specify place name below. Choose name from the list. Then SEARCH.
*Place Name:


Expedia

HOTELS.COM - Save 10% - 30% on your next escape!

Ancestry Family Tree Search

Search for MY Family by Name

NOTE: If you don't know your ancestor's whole name or are unsure of the spelling, specify part of the name.

First Name:
*Last Name:
Gender:
Born (+/- 2 years):
Died (+/- 2 years):
Match all terms exactly:

Updated: 1/29/2024 11:53:47 AM