Add YOUR Family To This Page
What is the history of Staten Island, New York, USA?
People, Pictures, Old Postcards and Stories From the PastExplore Staten Island, New York, USA. Discover its history. Learn about the people who lived there through stories, old newspaper articles, pictures and genealogy.
Staten Island is one of the five boroughs of New York City, in the U.S. state of New York, located in the southwest part of the city. Staten Island is separated from New Jersey by the Arthur Kill and the Kill Van Kull, and from the rest of New York by New York Bay.
Not the place you are looking for? Try again!
Search for Your Family by Place
- 1763 - First international sports hero, boxer Bill Richmond of Staten Island, was born August 5, 1763.
www.ereferencedesk.com/ resources/ state-facts/ new-york.html
The Narrows from Staten Island
by N.P. Willis, Illustrated by William Henry Bartlett, 1840
- 1860 - Richmond County, New York
This county was organized Nov. 1, 1683. It includes Staten Island, Shooters Island, and the islands of the meadow in Staten Island Sound. It is...Read MORE...
- 1870 - July 30 - Staten Island ferry "Westfield" burns, killing 100
July 30, 1870
- 1884 - September 5 – Staten Island Academy is founded.
September 5, 1884
Enjoying a Rest at Midland Beach, Staten Island, N.Y.
- 1902 - STATEN ISLAND FERRYBOAT ACCIDENT.
The heavy and rather unusual spring fog which enveloped bay and river to-day was responsible for two serious collisions in the harbor, in one of...Read MORE...
Stat'en Island, the southernmost part of New York state and of New York city, of which latter it constitutes the borough of Richmond. It is 13 miles...Read MORE...
- 1918 - PENNED IN OVERTURNED CAR. THIRTY-ONE PERSONS INJURED IN STATEN ISLAND TROLLEY ACCIDENT.
Thirty-one persons were injured last night, two seriously, when a steel trolley car on the Richmond Light and Railway Company was derailed on the...Read MORE...
Staten Island Hospital, Castleton Ave., Staten Island, N.Y.
- 1928 - June 29 - The Outerbridge Crossing and Goethals Bridge in Staten Island, New York both opened.
June 29, 1928
Curtis High School, St. George, Staten Island, N.Y.
- 1937 - BUILDING COLLAPSE KILLS 19. OCCUPANTS OF THREE TENEMENTS DIE WHILE SLEEPING EARLY TODAY. TONS OF WATER, ROARING DOWN FROM OVERFLOW STORM SEWERS, RIPS BUILDINGS ASUNDER, CRUSHING RESIDENTS TO DEATH.
New York, Aug. 12. (AP) - At least 19 persons were crushed to death in their sleep early today, amid a smothering avalanche of bricks and debris,...Read MORE...
- 1946 - 2 DEAD IN FIRE ON STATEN ISLE, LOSS 2 MILLION. 34 PERSONS HURT, ST. GEORGE FERRY HOUSE DESTROYED.
New York, (AP) - Two persons burned to death and 34 were overcome or injured yesterday in a nine-alarm, $2,000,000 blaze which engulfed Staten...Read MORE...
Staten Island, New York, USA Genealogy
Ancestors Who Were Born in Staten Island, New York, USAWe currently have information about ancestors who were born in Staten Island.
View Them Now (sorted by last name)
View Them Now (sorted by year of birth)
Ancestors Who Died in Staten Island, New York, USAWe currently have information about ancestors who died in Staten Island.
View Them Now (sorted by last name)
View Them Now (sorted by year of death)
Ancestors Who Were Married in Staten Island, New York, USAWe currently have information about ancestors who were married in Staten Island.
View Them Now
Are you from Staten Island? Do you have ancestors from there? Tell us YOUR story!If you'd like to be contacted by others who have ancestors from Staten Island, leave a message here!
The comments you read here belong only to the person who posted them. We reserve the right to remove off-topic and inappropriate comments.