Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - 1854 - Pittsburg
Pittsburg, a city, port of entry, and seat of justice of Alleghany county, Pennsylvania, is situated at the confluence of the Alleghany and Monongahela rivers, which here form the Ohio, 357 miles W. from Philadelphia ; 477 N. E. by E. from Cincinnati; 1174 E. N. E. from St. Louis, and 2025 miles N. E. from New Orleans. Lat. 40° 32' N., Lon. 80° 2' W. The site comprises the triangular plain enclosed by the Alleghany and Monongahela rivers, Grant's Hill, and several other elevations, which terminate the plain on the E. The general outline and many other features of this city bear a striking resemblance to the lower part of New York. Along the Monongahela the streets were laid out at right angles to each other, and extend either parallel or perpendicular to the river. The same plan was also adopted on the Alleghany side, by which arrangement the cross streets meet obliquely a few squares S. from the latter stream. The space included within these limits was found insufficient to meet the requirements of the rapidly increasing population, which soon extended itself to the opposite shores. Here have sprung up several large and flourishing towns, the most important of which are Alleghany City and Manchester, situated directly opposite the junction of the Alleghany river with the Ohio, and Birmingham, on the left bank of the Monongahela. In commercial and social interests, all these are identical with the city proper, and we should do Pittsburg injustice not to consider them as a part of the same community. The site of the city is a natural amphitheatre, being environed on all sides by beautiful hills, rising from 400 to 500 feet above the level of the Ohio, and filled with coal, iron, and limestone, the working of which into articles of utility constitutes the chief occupation of the inhabitants. These hills are not, except in a few instances, precipitous, and from their slopes and peaks afford a series of rich and varied landscapes. The scenery is in a most interesting manner strengthened in color by the fertility of the Boil, which continues to the very summits. There is nothing of barrenness visible ; vegetation in the forests, meadows, fields, orchards, and gardens, exhibits one panorama of abundance and beauty...
History. — Fort Du Quesne, a French trading post, erected in 1754, formerly occupied the site where Pittsburg now stands. In 1758 an English expedition marched against this post, which was then regarded by the youthful Washington as the key of the West. An advanced detachment under Captain Grant having encamped on what is still known as Grant's Hill, was attacked and defeated by a party of French and Indians. But on the approach of General Forbes, with a force of 6200 men, the disheartened garrison set fire to the fort and descended the Ohio. The victorious troops, on entering, November 25th, by general acclamation called the place Pittsburg, in honor of Pitt, then prime minister. Pittsburg was founded in 1765. It became a county town in 1791, was incorporated a borough in 1804, and chartered as a city in 1816. April 10th, 1845, a great fire consumed a large part of tho town, causing a destruction of property to the amount of $9,000,000. Notwithstanding this terrible calamity, the city has continued to increase in wealth and population almost beyond parallel. Population in 1810, 4768; 1820, 7248; 1830. 12,542: 1840, 21,115— Alleghany City, 10,089 — Birmingham, 1554; city proper, in 1850, 40,601 — Alleghany City, 21,261 — Birmingham, 3742. By a local census, in January, 1853, Pittsburg and its suburbs contained a population of 110,241.
Visit Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Discover the people who lived there, the places they visited and the stories they shared.
The comments you read here belong only to the person who posted them. We reserve the right to remove off-topic and inappropriate comments.