Wilmington, Delaware, USA - 1854 - Wilmington
Wilmington, a city and port of entry of New Castle county, Delaware, is situated on Christiana creek, immediately above its junction with the Brandywine, 2 miles from the Delaware river, 28 miles S. W. from Philadelphia, 70 miles E. N. E. from Baltimore, and 108 from Washington. The Philadelphia, Wilmington, and Baltimore railroad passes through the place. The upper part of the city is built on the southern slope of a hill, the summit of which is about 110 feet above the tide level, and commands an extensive view of the Delaware river and of the city itself. Wilmington is regularly planned, with wide and straight streets, and is. generally well built of brick. The streets running parallel to the Christiana are numbered (commencing near the creek) First, Second, Third, &c. up to Fifteenth street. The principal thoroughfare of business is Market street, which extends from the Christiana to the Brandywine, rather more than a, mile, intersecting the other streets at right angles, and terminated by handsome bridges at each end. King's, French, Orange, Shipley, and other streets are parallel with Market street. The city contains 19 churches, namely, 4 Methodist, 3 Episcopal, 2 Presbyterian, 2 Baptist, 2 Friends, 1 German Lutheran, 1 Roman Catholic, and 4 African; also a town-hall, a large hospital, situated on high ground in the N. W. part of the town, and a Catholic college, which is a handsome brick building. A new custom house is now in course of construction, for which an appropriation of 250,000 was made at the last session of Congress. There are 4 banks, with an aggregate capital of $840,000, a savings' institution, and several insurance companies; 4 or 6 newspapers are published here. Wilmington has long been distinguished for its boarding-schools, of which there are 5 in the city: they are generally well conducted and liberally patronized. The streets, stores, &c, are lighted with gas, and the town is supplied with good water from the Brandywine.
Wilmington is the most populous town in the state, and is chiefly remarkable for its manufactures, of which the following are the most important productions: steam engines, railway cars, railroad wheels, iron steam boats, locomotive and car springs, mill machinery, galvanized roofing, and other iron, cotton and woollen goods, powder, flour, carriages, and farming implements. There are about 7 iron foundries, 3 large machine shops, 2 cotton factories, several manufactories of woollen goods, 1 of farming implements, and 1 paper mill. The powder mills of Dupont & Co., about 2 miles from the town, have long been widely known. There are 7 large flouring mills on the Brandywine in this vicinity, which annually grind about one million bushels of wheat. In 1853, 218 persons were employed in the manufacturing of cotton ; 215 in that of cast iron and brass; 675 in that of wrought iron, steel, and machinery; 181 in the coach manufactories; 178 in those of patent-leather, and 168 in building and repairing vessels of medium tonnage, for which the creek is navigable...
Population in 1830, 6628; in 1840, 8367; in 1850, 13,979: and April 1, 1853, it amounted to 16,163, of whom 18,970 were whites, and 2187, colored.
A New and Complete Gazetteer of the United States: Giving a Full and Comprehensive Review of the Present Condition, Industry, and Resources of the American Confederacy ... Thomas Baldwin (of Philadelphia.) Joseph Thomas January 1, 1854 Philadelphia : Lippincott, Grambo & Company 1854.
Visit Wilmington, Delaware, USA
Discover the people who lived there, the places they visited and the stories they shared.
The comments you read here belong only to the person who posted them. We reserve the right to remove off-topic and inappropriate comments.