Sign In

David BENGE - Biography

""King" David Benge was in the revolutionary war and the War of 1812. In the War of 1812 he enlisted at Manchester Kentucky in Thomas McJilton's company A, 7th Ky., 11th Regiment of Kentucky Mounted Volunteer Militia, served from August 22, 1813 to November 10, 1813 in the Thames Campaign where the Indian chief Tecumseh was killed. His pay for this period was $20.90 plus $32 for his horse which he had to furnish. He was honorably discharged at Limestone, Kentucky (now Maysville) on the Ohio river 12 December 1813

Declaration for pension, Clay County, Kentucky
On this 27 day of April 1834 personally appeared before the Hon. Joseph Eve, judge of the 15th district circuit in open court, David Benge aged 74 in August next, who being first duly sworn according to law doth on his oath make the following declaration in order to obtain the benefit of the provision made by the act of congress paper June 7, 1832.
That he enlisted in the Army of The United States as he now believes in '78 or '79 in Wilks County, North Carolina under Capt. O. Gordon in the 2nd Reg. as he now believes (but will not be postive) in the North Carolina Line, whether on State or Continental line, he does not know, but they were called Continentals. The Reg. was commanded by Col. Armstrong. He enlisted for nine months. After his enlistment he was marched to Charleston in South Carolina and was there at the siege and surrender of the town and was taken prisoner when General Lincoln surrendered the city. He had been in service something like 12 or 13 months, but before the surrender his time had expired. He again at Charleston enlisted under Capt. Joseph Lewis who succeded Gordon for nine months more, who was shortly promoted to Major. on his first enlistment Michajah Lewis (brother of Joseph) was his Major. there was so many changes of officers that he does not remember his Lt's or Ensigns. Before he was taken prisoner he was in no battles except the seige of Charlestown, South Carolina. The last enlistment he understood to be in North Carolina line under Col. Armstrong whether State or Continental troops he can not say. He remembers General Pinkey, General Lincoln. Shortly after the surrender there was a roll call for more men he believes in June after he voluntered (time not specified but he believes he was gone 8 or 9 weeks in service) to join General Gates. He voluntered in Wilkes County under Captain Joseph Lewis and Michajah Lewis was his Major. The Regiment was commanded by Col. Rutherford. They were marched ajoined General Gates near Sollasbury, N.C. and then were marched under General Gates until his defeat by Lord Cornwallis, in which battle he was in. His Captain and company returned home. He again voluntered in Wilkes County, N.C. for 3 months (shortly before the battle of King's Mountain) under Captain Joseph Lewis, his Major M. Lewis Adjutant under Colonel Cleveland with whom he marched to King's Mountain and fought in the battle, in which both of the Lewis officers were wounded. He often saw Colonel Campbell, Sevier, Shelby and Lt. Colonel Williams who was kild. After the battle he was detained with the wounded men in Burks County, N.C. under Doctor Dobson until he had between five and six months, when he returned home without getting a discharge, there being no officer there, by permission of the Doctor. In Feburary following he was ordered out, under Capt. Joseph Lewis & Michajah Lewis was Major and the Regiment under Col. Cleveland. This took place in Wilks County, N. Carolina. They were ordered out to join General Green at the Shallow ford on the Yadkin River in N.C. when he was retreating from the South, but the British got between Col. Cleveland & Green. They could not reach Green, when they could not reach Green, Col. Cleveland marched on to Howe River in N.C., Major Lewis rode out of camp to examine if there was an enemy about, when he was shot and kild, both thighs being broke by the enemy. Col. Cleveland instantly retreated and marched back home. this trip was about two months.

He was discharged but not in writing. Shortly after the battle of Gilford he entered the service in Wilks County under Capt. Ch. Gordon in the State line of N. Carolina for six months as he understood to fill out his tour of nine months under his second enlistment. His Major he does not remember, but his Colonel was Capt. Joseph Lewis who had been promoted. He was marched to Holsbury, N.C. where the Reg. was stationed and after he had served six months, he was discharged at Salisbury, N.C. by Capt. Gordon. In '81 he voluntered in the fall under Ben Herndon & took a trip against the Cherekee Nation and was gone about 7 or 8 weeks but saw no Indians except a squaw. He was honarably discharged. He hereby relinquishes any claim whatever to a pension or anuity except the present and he declares that his name is not on the pension roll of any agency in any state.
Sworn and Subscribed to this day & year.
David Benge
his mark"

Learn more about the life of American Revolutionary War Soldier flag photo of ancestor   David BENGE.

Visit Albemarle County, Virginia, USA
Discover the people who lived there, the places they visited and the stories they shared.

The comments you read here belong only to the person who posted them. We reserve the right to remove off-topic and inappropriate comments.