Columbia, a city, the capital of South Carolina and of Richland co., is on the left or E. bank of the Congaree River, at the confluence of the Broad and Saluda rivers, on the Southern R., the Atlantic Coast Line and the Seaboard Air Line, 130 miles NW. of Charleston. Lat. 33° 58' N. ; Ion. 81° 3' W. It is situated at the head of steamboat navigation and on the Columbia Canal. The site, in the district of the Pine Barrens, is a plain, elevated 100 feet or more above the river. The plan of the city is regular, and several of the streets are 100 feet wide. It contains an imposing granite state-house, city-hall, a handsome United States court-house, the Ursuline Institute, an asylum for the insane, which is under the direction of the state, a theological seminary belonging to the Presbyterians, the Presbyterian and Columbian colleges for women, Alien University, Benedict College (the last two for colored), and a state penitentiary. It is also the seat of the South Carolina College, which was organised in 1805. The city has important cotton- and cotton-manufacturing industries, extensive car-, machine- and iron-works, etc. The Union army, under General Sherman, occupied this city in Feb., 1866, and a large portion of it was then consumed by fire. It be came the state capital in 1796. Pop. in 1860, 8052 ; in 1870, 9298; in 1880, 10,036; in 1890, 15,363; in 1900. 21,108.
Lippincotts New Gazetteer: A Complete Pronouncing Gazetteer Or Geographical Dictionary of the World, Containing the Most Recent and Authentic Information Respecting the Countries, Cities, Towns, Resorts, Islands, Rivers, Mountains, Seas, Lakes, Etc., in Every Portion of the Globe, Part 1 Angelo Heilprin Louis Heilprin - January 1, 1916 J.B. Lippincott - Publisher
Visit Columbia, South Carolina, USA
Discover the people who lived there, the places they visited and the stories they shared.
The comments you read here belong only to the person who posted them. We reserve the right to remove off-topic and inappropriate comments.