Saint John, a city and seaport of New Brunswick, the commercial metropolis of the province, and the capital of the co. of St. John, is picturesquely situated at the mouth of the St. John River, on a rocky peninsula projecting into the harbor, 190 NW. of Halifax, on the Intercolonial, the Canadian Pacific, and the New Brunswick Southern Rs... The city is regularly laid out and has a number of substantial buildings, - St. Mary's cathedral (Roman Catholic), Trinity Church, provincial insane asylum, city hospital, court-house and jail, marine hospital, penitentiary, custom house, almshouse, Wiggins's and state orphan asylums, sailors' home, public library, masonic temple, mechanics' institute, and academy of music. The chief business street is King Street, which leads off from King Square, near the centre of the city limits. The harbor of St. John is capacious, safe, and never obstructed by ice, being the only harbor of the Atlantic coast N. of Baltimore that enjoys this condition. Its entrance is protected by Partridge Island, on which are a quarantine hospital and a light-house. The entrance of the river St. John into the harbor, about 1 1/ 2 miles above the city, is through a narrow, rocky gorge, in which the rise of the tide is 17-20 feet, and where, at low-water, there is a fall in the direction of the sea of 12-15 ft. The river is spanned by railway and suspension bridge. St. John is the entrepot of a wide extent of country abounding in agricultural resources, minerals, and valuable timber. It has manufactories of iron castings, steam-engines, machinery, edge-tools, cotton and woolen goods, boots and shoes, leather, wooden-ware, soap and candles, carriages, car-springs, agricultural implements, lumber, paper, sugar-boxes, etc., but its most important branches of industry are ship-building and the shipping of lumber. Several hundred men are yearly engaged in the fisheries in the harbor of St. John. Salmon, shad, herrings, alewives, halibut, and haddock are taken in large quantities. St. John was created a town by royal charter in 1785. The city has several times been visited by ravaging fires, the most destructive have been that of June 20, 1877, which destroyed property to the value of nearly $30,000,000. Pop. of the city in 1891, 39,179; in 1901, 40,711.
Lippincott's New Gazetteer: A Complete Pronouncing Gazetteer Or Geographical Dictionary of the World, Containing the Most Recent and Authentic Information Respecting the Countries, Cities, Towns ... in Every Portion of the Globe Publisher J.B. Lippincott Company, 1906
Visit Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Discover the people who lived there, the places they visited and the stories they shared.
The comments you read here belong only to the person who posted them. We reserve the right to remove off-topic and inappropriate comments.