Nassau, New York, USA - 1897 - Nassau
The town of Nassau was formed from Petersburgh, Stephentown and Schodack March 31, 1806. In honor of Philip Van Rensselaer it was first given the name of Philipstown, receiving its present name April 6, 1808. It is bounded on the north by the town of Sand Lake, on the east by the the town of Stephentown, on the south by Chatham and New Lebanon in Columbia county, and on the west by the town of Schodack. The land is uneven and hilly and the central and eastern portions are rocky and in many places quite barren. The hills are parts of the Petersburgh mountains, which are separated from the Taghkanic mountains by Kinderhook creek. There are many other small streams which furnish abundant water power. There are also numerous lakes and small ponds in the town, also a large swamp in the eastern section called Psanticoke. Burden lake, in the northeastern corner of the town, lies partly in Sand Lake, and is the largest sheet of water in Rensselaer county. Pike pond lies about four miles east. North of the centre is Mud pond, and southeast of the centre is Tackawasick, (Usually found spelled Tsatsawassa.) or Cummings pond. Hoag's pond is in the centre of the Schodack boundary line, and a mile or so east lies Lyons pond. There are several high points in the town. These include a peak in the southwest corner called by the Indians Kykout, or Lookout; a peak in the southeastern part of the town called Snake hill; Meshodac peak, which lies between the first two named; Pike mountain and Bailey mountain in the northern section. Very few portions of Nassau are naturally adapted to the highest class of agriculture, though there are many portions where the soil is rich and exceedingly productive. For grazing the hills of the town are unexcelled.
As near as can be learned the first settlers were Joseph Primmer and Hugh Wilson, who located, the former-on Hoag's pond in 1760, and the latter at or near the present site of the village of Nassau. The neighborhood was known by the Indians as Ontikekomick, and the chief of the tribe was Kashekekomuck. Some authorities assert that Wilson was the first permanent white settler in the town. Joseph Primmer's deed bore the date of May 16, 1760, and was signed by the mark of Chief Kashekekomuck. Though these were the first permanent settlements made in the town and on its western border, they were not the first white men who visited this locality.
In 1743 David Brainard came as a missionary to the Indians in that vicinity, but removed from the town in 1744. Other early settlers were John W. Schermerhorn, near East Nassau; John McCagg, near Brainard; Henry Post, about three miles east of Nassau village; Thomas Hicks, Titus Huested, Abraham Holmes, Major Abijah Bush, Daniel Litz, David Waterbury and Reuben Bateman. Major Bush lived at West Nassau, came from Sheffield, Mass., and served in the Continental army during the War of the Revolution, crossing the Delaware river with Washington.
The first tavern in Nassau village was kept by Thomas Hicks in a log hut built before the Revolution. About the same time a grist mill was built at the outlet of Tsatsawassa pond at East Nassau by John W. Schneider, who also kept a tavern and a store. He also erected a grist mill on Kinderhook creek.
In the northern part of the town the earliest settler of whom any record is left was John B. Adsit, who located at Alps before the Revolution. The hamlet which surrounded his home was for many years known as Adsit Corners. In 1781 Arnaziah Bailey located on the hill near the village of Alps. Other early settlers in this locality were Isaac Dunham, Elmer Sedgwick, Ebenezer Sedgwick and Titus Sedgwick. John Turner made an early settlement in the extreme eastern part of the town and Benjamin Greenman located about the same time between Stephentown and Nassau. During the closing years of the eighteenth century William Root, who came from Sheffield, Mass., Patrick McGee, George McGee, Jonathan Devereaux, Elijah Adams, Jonathan Emmons, Jonathan Williams, Jeremiah Fox, Timothy Vickery, Dr. James H. Ball, a soldier of the Revolutionary army who came from Connecticut, Joseph Marks, Abiel Knapp, John Casey, Eli Vickery, William B. Hoag, Elnathan Quimby and Eliphalet Reed settled in the town.
Jonathan Hoag, who settled in the town in 1792, purchased of Stephen Van Rensselaer several hundred acres of land on and adjoining the site of Nassau village. The body of water now known as Hoag's pond was made by him by constructing a dam which covered "the Vlaie" or "Beaver Meadow" with water. He was perhaps the most industrious and progressive of the pioneers of Nassau. Soon after he had built his dam he constructed a raceway which connected the waters of the pond to the mills in and around Nassau. He also erected a grist mill, a hotel, a store and a dwelling house. Nassau owes much of its early prosperity to his untiring industry.
Thomas Hicks is believed to have been the proprietor of the earliest tavern in Nassau. It was located at Nassau village before the War of the Revolution, and was nothing more pretentious than a log cabin. At East Nassau an inn was established by John W. Schermerhorn as early as 1767, and soon after Major Abijah Bush had one at the same place. In the central part of the town a very early proprietor was Reuben Bateman. Joseph Greenman and Patrick McGee had taverns in the northern part of the town soon after the first settlements were made. For many years the leading hotel at Nassau village was maintained by Peter Van Valkenburg. Its first proprietor was a man named Strong. It is a well known fact in history that many eminent men were entertained at this hospitable hotel. Among them were the Marquis de Lafayette, and Joseph Bonaparte, king of Spain, who spent portions of several summers there. Martin Van Buren, William L. Marcy, De Witt Clinton, Lewis Cass and Generals John B. Wool and Alexander McComb were also frequent patrons. Lafayette's visit to the house was made in 1825, when he made a tour of the United States.
John W. Schermerhorn at East Nassau and Jonathan Hoag at Nassau owned two of the earliest stores in the town. Hoag & Vail are said to have had the first in the town. The were located in Nassau village on the site of the first tavern.
The medical profession has been well represented in Nassau. Dr. Joseph Gale, who located at East Nassau, undoubtedly was the first physician to practice within the present limits of the town. Dr. James H. Ball, as has been stated, settled in the northern part of the town in 1790. He held important offices and served in the State Assembly in 1812 or 1813. Dr. Ebenezer Bassett was an early practitionet at Nassau village, locating there about 1812, and Dr. William K. Scott was early in practice at East Nassau. Other physicians of more than local repute have been located in Nassau from time to time.
The earliest lawyer in the town of whom there is any record was Samuel B. Ludlow, who opened an office in Nassau village soon after 1815. Not much later Cyrus Mason and Henry Ludlow were also in practice there. Fenner Ferguson, a native of the town, was admitted to the bar in 1838, but soon after removed to Michigan, where he became a territorial judge and a delegate to Congress. Later practitioners who were well known were Judge Hugh W. McClellan, Robert H. McClellan, a former surrogate; Judge B. Smith Strait, B. C. Strait and others. General John B. Wool resided at Nassau village for many years. Hon. John A. Griswold was also a native of the town, having been born there in 1818. He removed to Troy in 1835.
The first town meeting in. Nassau was held April 1, 1807, the day following the organization of the town by the Legislature under the name of Philipstown, at the tavern of Pliny Miller. At this meeting the following were chosen for the first officers of the town:
Supervisor, Jonathan Hoag; town clerk, William C. Elmore; assessors, Fenner Palmer, Joseph Finch, Elijah Adams, Joseph S. Gale, Titus Huested; collector, Charles Mason; overseers of the poor, Samuel Gale, David Waterbury; commissioners of highways, Fenner Palmer, Enoch Benedict, James H. Ball; constables, Charles Mason, William King, Ebenezer Martin; fenceviewers, Enoch Benedict, Fenner Palmer, Benjamin Mason, Titus Huested, Timothy Sibley, Gershom Tabor, Samuel Knapp, John Turner, Jeremiah Macks; poundmasters, Jonathan Hoag, Abijah Bush, Isaac Dunham; beside thirty-nine pathmasters.
From time to time the inhabitants of the valley of the Valatie kill have suffered from floods, which destroyed thousands of dollars worth of property. One of the most serious of theseh occurred in the spring of 1837, when the dam of the pond north of Nassau village gave way, carried away bridges, wrecked houses and ruined considerable other property. Another flood that did a vast amount of damage occurred in 1869, when the waters of the Kinderhook creek destroyed the old Schermerhorn grist mill at East Nassau and all the bridges below it in the town.
It was in the town of Nassau that the Anti-Rent War in Rensselaer county had its centre for many years. The farmers of Nassau are said to have been the first to resist in an effective manner the attempts of the proprietors of the land in that section to collect their ground rents, and when Colonel Walter S. Church of Albany came into possession of the title to these lands it was in the town of Nassau that he met with the greatest reverses in his endeavor to enforce his claims. As early as 1843 an anti-rent society was organized at Hoag's Corners, and while its first members were confined principally to the farmers in that immediate locality it was not long before many farmers in all parts of the town, and even some from other towns, became secretly identified with the organization. The meetings were generally held at the old Martin tavern. It is said that efforts were frequently made by agents of the landlords to secure admission to these meetings. It might have been easy for some daring spirit to enter the inner circle on some occasions, for as a rule the anti-renters seldom appeared in a body in public without disguise. These disguises were generally those which caused the rebellious ones to take on the appearance of Indians, and those actively engaged in the fight were frequently referred to as Indians. In their meetings they addressed their leaders by high sounding Indian titles, and a member of the society was seldom addressed by his right name at meetings of any kind for fear that an enemy might be within hearing.
But in spite of the precautions that were always supposed to be taken by the anti-renters the neutral public, and finally the friends of the landlords, then the landlords themselves, obtained the names of some of the leaders in the movement and the information thus obtained was employed in the prosecution of the offenders. After the greatest excitement caused by the insurrection had begun to subside it became known that in the town of Nassau the recognized head of the organized movement was Frank Abbott, whom the conclaves of the anti-rent society knew as Little Thunder. Dr. Smith A. Boughton of Alps was called Big Thunder and Thomas Thompson of Hoag's Corners enjoyed the distinction of being known in party councils as Tuscarora.
Gideon Reynolds of Hoosick, who served as sheriff for one term, having been elected to that office in 1843, about the time of the organization of the anti-rent society in Nassau, though himself reputed to be an enemy of landlordism, at once took an active part in the attempted suppression of the disorders brought about by the conflict between the anti-renters and the authorities. Mr. Reynolds was a staunch adherent of the law, and though he felt that the odds were against him, he summoned a posse of twenty-five men and proceeded to the vicinity of the village of Alps, where he had been informed a body of anti-renters were abroad. When he reached the scene of the disorder he and his posse were overpowered, their horses turned loose and Sheriff Reynolds and his band of deputies were marched to the village of Alps. The deputy who had been entrusted with the legal papers was tarred and feathered and the entire body of men ordered to return, which they did. Soon afterward Deputy Sheriff Lewis, while attempting to serve warrants upon some of the "Indians," was also tarred and feathered and sent back to his home. From time to time similar proceedings were had by the anti-renters, until the troubles were settled by the courts and Colonel Church obtained his legal rights.
The Nassau, Schodack and .Chatham Mutual Insurance association was organized in the spring of 1855, the first directors being: Abel Merchant, president; Edward Jacques, secretary; Sylvester Waterbury, John Schermerhorn, J. B. Rider, John N. Vedder. R. Hermance and Smith Griffith. Its membership at once became large and the association consequently prosperous.
Another organization, of comparatively recent date, which has done much for the agricultural interests of the town, is the Rensselaer County Agricultural society, organized at Nassau, largely through the efforts of George W. Witbeck, esq., in 1893. The membership is large and constantly increasing. The annual fairs of the society are held at Nassau village and are attended by farmers from all parts of the• county.
Nassau has a military record of which no town would feel ashamed. Many of the residents fought in the War of the Revolution. - The records are not perfect on this point, however. Among those who served their country in this struggle were Major Abijah Bush, who for many years was one of its foremost inhabitants. Other patriots who shouldered guns between 1775 and 1783 were Simeon Griswold, Dr. James H. Ball, Robert J. W. Burroughs and Guy Lester.
In the War of 1812 Nassau was well represented. Major-General John B. Wool, one of the most conspicuous soldiers in eastern New York in those days; Captain Simeon Tuft, Captain David St. John, Rensselaer Bateman, Reuben Rogers, Varnum Babcock, Jacob Cole, Jeremiah Tuft, Thomas Tobias, Isaac Wheeler and George Launt were representative men of the town who enrolled their names in support of the cause of the United States.
In the War of the Rebellion Nassau sent her full quota of men to the front and a large share of them lost their lives in the service. The list of those dying in the service of the United States includes the following names:
Jonathan Hoag, Judson Hoag, Rensselaer Palmer, Edward Stickles, Eleazer Knap, Marshal C. Knap, Asbury Bacchus, Arnold Dennis, Charles H. Ashley, Noah Ashley, Paul Roberts, Peter Roberts, Palmer W. Dunham, George Horton, Thomas H. Payne, James Brown, Darius Morris, James Dodge, Cyrus Gardner, Lyman Ostrom, Russell D. Ashley, Hiram Hotaling, Willard Reed, George Bailey, William Lasher, George Sheldon, Herman Beckstine, William Shofelt, Washington L. Taylor, Henry J. Knap, Henry Loppy, Andrew Trumble and Ceno Och.
Nassau is essentially an agricultural town, yet the inhabitants at an early day took advantage of the splendid water power afforded by the various streams flowing through the town. The first manufacturing enterprise of which there is any knowledge was the grist mill of John W. Schermerhorn, at the outlet of Tsatsawassa pond. Soon after this mill was established a tannery was started by Jesse Smith. About 1778 Morgan Harris operated a large grist mill at East Nassau. Soon after 1800 Winthrop Root had a tannery at the same place, and about the same time a collar factory at that point was operated by Peter Van B-uren, James Turner, Erastus Hemingway and others. An early saw mill and grist mill at Nassau village was run by Fenner Palmer. This was burned in 1817 but was afterward rebuilt. About 1830 William P. Hermance had a carriage factory at Nassau village, where for a quarter of a century or more from thirty to forty men were given lucrative employment. The extensive paper mills of J. D. Tompkins on Kinderhook creek, near Brainard, were established about 1847 by John B. and Peter C. Tompkins, who began the manufacture of straw paper there.. The site was occupied early in the century by Marks's saw mill and subsequently Page's shingle factory was added. The mill was enlarged in 1854, under the proprietorship of Mr. Davis. These mills for a long time were one of the principal industries of the county outside of Troy. Another paper mill was established about 1855 by John Bullis at Nassau village. It was abandoned about fifteen years later. Gershom Turner had an early cotton 'factory at Brainard. In 1842 the Nassau cotton mills at Brainard were established by Seth Hastings of Albany. After several changes the property passed into the hands of the Clinton Manufacturing company of Woonsocket, R. I. James Allen started the foundry at Nassau village about 1860. There have been several other industries in the town from time to time, but these mentioned have contributed most prominently to the welfare of Nassau.
The principal village in the town is Nassau, which is located on the Valatie kill in the southwestern part of the town. Nassau was originally known as Union village. It is one of the most attractive villages in the county, being laid out evidently with an eye to beauty as well as utility. It was a famous summer resort in its early days and its hotels frequently entertained distinguished guests from various parts of the United States and other countries. The village received its first charter March 12, 1819, when these corporation officers were named: Trustees, William B Hermance, Chauncey Porter, Samuel B. Ludlow, Chester Griswold, Ebenezer D. Bassett; collector, Henry Goodrich; treasurer, Calvin Pardee. A new charter was granted April 17, 1866, conferring additional powers and duties upon the village. Hugh Wilson, who located there about 1760, was the founder of the village. Other prominent early settlers have been referred to in preceding pages in this chapter. The post-office was established about 1811, and Jonathan Hoag, one of the most influential of the early inhabitants, was one of the earliest incumbents of the office. Early provision was made for village improvements and for protection against fires, the No. 1 Engine company having existed there as early as 1840. Washington Engine company was organized July 18, 1872, and four years later the village purchased a fire-engine. Some of the leading industries of the village have already been referred to.
The Nassau academy was incorporated in 1835 by Lyman Vandenburgh, Samuel W. Hoag, Dr. Samuel McClellan, Dr. Ebenezer D. Bassett. Reuben Merchant. Samuel B. Ludlow, John Alden, Smith Griffith and William B. Hermance. The school building was built the same year. From 1850 to 1857 the Rev. Salmon Hatch conducted it as a female institute. It was reincorporated by the Regents in 1868.
East Nassau is located in the southeastern part of the town on Kinderhook creek. John W. Schermerhorn was one of its most conspicuous early inhabitants, and in his honor the hamlet for many years was known as Schermerhorn's. Mr. Schermerhorn was the proprietor of the first tavern at East Nassau. Pliny Miller was another early innkeeper. William Root opened a general store there as early as 1780. The post-office was established about 1830 with Jared Root as postmaster.
Hoag's Corners is situated in the northeastern part of the town on Tsatsawassa creek. Its early inhabitants and industries have been referred to. Robert Martin and William Hoag were early tavern keepers there, beginning business about 1822 or 1823. The former also had the first store in the place, running it in connection with his hotel. Several small industries, established there early in the nineteenth century, since then have been abandoned, though the hamlet is quite thrifty to-day. The post-office was established in 1835 with William
B. Hoag as postmaster.
Brainard is in the southeastern corner of the town and was named in honor of Joseph Brainard,1 who built a bridge over Kinderhook creek at that point. It was first called Brainard's Bridge. The Nassau cotton mills, for many years a prominent industry of the town, were located here in 1842. Gershom Turner is said to have been the first proprietor of a store at this point, and the first tavern was kept by Henry Stoddard about 1810 or 1812.
Dunham Hollow is located in the northeastern part of the town. It was named after Isaac Dunham, who settled there about 1800 and built a hotel and saw mill. An early hoe factory was owned by. Jacob White and the first saw mill by a man named Adams. The first store was owned by Joshua Coleman.
North Nassau is in the northern part of the town. The first tavern was kept by a man named Burdick about 1810. William C. Elmore had an early store and tavern there. The post-office was established about 1844 with James H. Ball as postmaster.
Alps, so named on account of the mountainous character of the country in which it is situated, occupies the northeastern corner of the town. Miller's Corners is a small hamlet in the northwestern corner of the town.
The earliest religious organization in Nassau of. which there is any record was a union society, which, in 1787, built a house of worship in the western part of the town on land given by Stephen Van Rensselaer. Lutherans, Presbyterians and a few members of the Dutch Reformed church united in the work, and for several years this was the only house of worship in the town. The society had no regular pastor and the meeting house was razed about 1810. Another house of worship was built in 1795 or 1796 at Nassau, free to all denominations. The church was not completed for many years, but preachingr services were held there while it was in an unfinished state. This building was subsequently used for several years by the Presbyterian and Reformed churches in common. It was torn down many years ago.
Some time before the year 1800 a Presbyterian church was organized in the northern part of the town and a house of worship was erected about three miles south of Alps. The church ceased to exist some time between 1825 and 1835.
The Presbyterian church of Nassau was organized November 11, 1802, and two days afterward was. regularly constituted. The Rev. Jonas Coe was the first minister to preach to the new congregation. For many years the society worshipped in the old free church building referred to. In 1827 a house of worship was erected, being dedicated January 13, 1828. Its first location was a few feet northwest of the Nassau academy, but in 1848 it was removed to its later site. The Rev. Ezra D. Kinney was the first regular pastor to preach in the new church, and the last was the Rev. Mr. Staunton. Active services were discontinued about 1879.
The organization of the Protestant Reformed Dutch church of Nassau closely followed that of the old Presbyterian church, occurring in the fall of 1803. The society was incorporated March 2, 1809, and until 1821 was connected with the church at Schodack. The Rev. Jacob Sickles, D. D., who organized the society, conducted its first services, but the first regular pastor was the Rev. Christian Bork, who served from 1804 to 1808. The early meetings of the body were held in the old "Free church," half of which was purchased from the Presbyterians in 1806. A new house of worship was erected in 1820 and dedicated in the winter of that year.
The First Baptist church of Nassau existed from 1790 to 1840, just half a century. It was located about two miles east of Nassau village and was erected by Joseph Brainard, the founder of Brainard's Bridge, afterward Brainard.
The Second Baptist church was organized in 1820 south of the hamlet of Alps. The first officiating pastor was Stephen Olmstead, and Henry Tucker and Brownell Sandford were deacons. The Baptist church, or mission, at Hoag's Corners was built in 1861, the congregation being members of the Second Baptist church.
The Methodist church at Nassau village was dedicated in the fall of 1833, having been erected in that year. But fully fifteen years before that time a Methodist class was formed in the village. The dedicatory' sermon was preached by the Rev. Mr. Carpenter, and the earliest regular pastor of whom there is any definite knowledge was the Rev. William Anson. The church prospered from the beginning.
A Free Union Methodist church was established a short distance east of Dunham's Hollow many years ago.
The Baptist church at East Nassau was founded in 1879, in which year the house of worship was erected.
In 1807 a Presbyterian church was established at East Nassau, with the Rev. John Younglove as the first pastor. The house of worship was erected by this and the Baptist societies, and was known as the Union church. It was destroyed by fire in 1853. The following year the Presbyterian congregation built its own house of worship, the dedication occurring in January, 1855. The Rev. Mr. Barker is said to have been the first pastor.
The Methodist church at East Nassau was erected in 1834, the congregation having originated in a class organized four years before.
In 1839 the Methodists of Brainard organized a church society and at once erected a house of worship, the site being donated to the society by Seth Hastings. In 1875 a new church was erected. The society for many years was connected as a charge with the church at Nassau.
The Catholic church at Nassau was started about thirty years ago, the congregation being under the care of the priest in charge of the church at Sand Lake.
The Free Communion Baptist church at Alps was incorporated July 29, 1878, having been organized January 23, 1877, by members of the societies at Stephentown and Nassau. The Rev. William H. Fonerden was the first pastor.
SUPERVISORS OF NASSAU.
1806-1810 Jonathan Hoag; 1811, Fenner Palmer; 1812-1813, Barent Van Vieck; 1814-1816, Fenner Palmer; 1817-1818, Bernard Hicks; 1819-1820, Chauncey Porter; 1821-1822, William P. Hermance; 1823-1824, Fenner Palmer; 1825, C. Porter; 1826- 1829, Bernard Hicks; 1830-1833, Henry Lord; 1834, Ryer Hermance; 1835, Stephen Phillips; 1836-1837, Henry Lord; 1838-1840, S. W. Hoag; 1841, R. Hermance; 1842. Chester Griswold; 1843, Seth Hastings; 1844. A. Bingham; 1845, E. B. Tuft; 1846, S. Waterbury; 1847. Joseph Tuft; 1848, E. B. Tuft; 1849, G. W. Norton; 1850-1851, 0. C. Thompson; 1852-1853, A. Bingham; 1854-1855, R. W. McClellan; 1856, S. Waterbury; 1857-1858, F. H. Hastings; 1859, C. W. Herrick; 1860, S. Waterbury; 1861-1862, D. Hermance; 1863, B. H. Lord; 1864-1865, J. C Enos; 1866, S. W. Ambler; 1867, Daniel Lewis; 1868, J. M. Witbeck; 1869-1870, S. Waterbury; 1871- 1873, J. T. Germond; 1874-1876, Gardner Mcrey; 1877-1878, Giles Kirby; 1879-1880, Barnis C. Strait; 1881, John Van Valkenburgh; 1882-1883, P. F. Palmateer; 1884, Jedediah Chapman; 1885, Giles Kirby; 1886, Calvin Van Salisbury; 1887, Gardner P. Morey; 1888, George H. Yadeau; 1889, Aiphonso Waterbury; 1890-1893, George H. Yadeau; 1894- -, M. R. Millius.
TOWN CLERKS OF NASSAU.
1806-1816, William C. Elmore; 1817-1818, Isaac B. Fox; 1819-1821, Asa Savage; 1822-1825, William Finck; 1826-1830, Aaron V. Waterbury; 1831-1832, Jonathan G. Tuft; 1833-1834, Wilson H. Crandall; 1835, Samuel B. Ludlow; 1836, Edwin R. Ball; 1837-1838, Charles Waterbury; 1839-1841 Edwin R. Ball; 1842, Schuyler Waterbury; 1843, Anson Bingham; 1844, Joseph Fursman; 1845, Schuyler Waterbury; 1846, James C. Enos; 1847-1848, George W. Norton; 1849, Samuel Stover; 1850, Anson Bingham; 1851-1853, Wm. W. Hemenway; 1854, James H. Ball; 1855, Leander O. Daboll; 1856, David E. Waterbury; 1857-1858, Daniel Hermance; 1859, Sylvester Waterbury; 1860, Herman L. Lester; 1861, Edwin H. Crossett; 1862, Melville B, Lord; 1863, Gardner Morey; 1864-1865, Nelson Webster; 1866, James A. Cotton: 1867-1870, Augustus Jolls; 1871-1873, George O. Daboll ; 1874-1876, H. Jerome Hayes; 1877-1878, James C. Hitchcock; 1879-1880, George W. Witbeck; 1881, Charles M. Fellows; 1882-1883, George Raeder; 1884-1885, M. R Millius; 1886-1887, S. P. Waterbury; 1888-1889, W. H. Sweet; 1890-1891, F. Wrim; 1892-1893, D. Aaron Hogeboom; 1894--, Charles H. Huested.1
JUSTICES OF THE PEACE OF NASSAU.
1827, William P. Hermance, James Hoag, Samuel Waterbury; 1828; Samuel Waterbury; 1829, John Van Dusen; 1830, James Hoag; 1831, Spencer Whiting; 1832, none reported elected this year; 1833, John G. Dusenbury; 1834, James Hoag; 1835, Spencer Whiting; 1836, Lewis Waterbury; 1837. John G. Dusenbury, Lyman Valdenburgh; 1838, John G. Dusenbury (v.); Joshua Coleman (f. t.); 1839, Lyman Valdenburgh; 1840, Epaphroditus Devereux; 1841, Sylvester Van Valkenburgh; 1842, George W. Norton (v.); Oliver C. Thompson (f. t.); 1843, Henry Kirby; 1844, Lewis J. Waterbury; 1845, George W. Strait; 1846, Thomas Ten Eyck; 1847, Henry Kirby; 1848, Oliver C. Thompson; 1849, George W. Norton; 1850, William Hemenway, Thomas Ten Eyck; 1851, Henry Kirby (f. t.); Daniel Hermance (v.); 1852, Oliver C. Thompson; 1853, Dennis Lewis; 1854, James C. Enos; 1855, Henry Kirby; 1856, Oliver C. Thompson; 1857, Dennis Lewis; 1858, James C. Enos; 1859, Henry Kirby; 1860, Alexander H. Tucker; 1861, Dennis Lewis; 1862, James C. Enos; 1863, Henry Kirby; 1864, Henry H. Tucker; 1865, Dennis Lewis; 1866, James G. Enos; 1867, James Van Valkenburgh; 1868, Alexander H. Tucker; 1869, Carlos Ambler; 1870, James C. Enos, J. F. N. Davis; 1871, James Van Valkenburgh, Nelson Webster; 1872, James G. Brown; 1873, Lorenzo Strait; 1874, James C. Enos; 1875, John Van Valkenburgh; 1876, Henry W. Vickery; 1877, Nathaniel C. Varden, Frank E Boughton; 1878, James C. Enos, Lorenzo Strait; 1879, F. E. Boughton; 1880, Henry W. Vickery; 1881, David Kilmer; 1882, James C. Enos; 1883, H. S. Van Valkenburgh; 1884, Thomas Powell; 1885, David Kilmer; 1886, Frank Hall; 1887, George W. Witbeck; 1888, Thomas Powell; 1889, James Thomson; 1890, Frank Hall; 1891, George W. Witbeck; 1892, Thomas Powell; 1893, James Thomson; 1894, James C. Enos; 1895, George W. Witbeck; 1896, Henry W. Vickery.
Landmarks of Rensselaer County, George Baker Anderson, D. Mason & Co., Syracuse, N.Y., 1897
Visit Nassau, New York, USA
Discover the people who lived there, the places they visited and the stories they shared.
The comments you read here belong only to the person who posted them. We reserve the right to remove off-topic and inappropriate comments.