Acton, Massachusetts, USA (Nagog Woods) (South Acton) - 1848 - Acton
The town of Acton lies wholly within the ancient limits of Concord. Most of the lands comprised within its limits were granted to the town of Concord. “for feeding;” they were, however, not very accurately defined, as when they were actually surveyed they were found to contain a greater number of acres than nominally specified in the grants. A settlement was commenced in these grants as early as 1656, and perhaps a few years earlier. The Shepherd and Law families were among the first. Many of the meadows were open prairies, and afforded, with little or no labor, grass in abundance. Some of the uplands had been cleared by the Indians, and were favorite places for feeding.
In 1668, the town leased to Capt. Thomas Wheeler, for 20 years, 200 acres of upland near Mr. Silas Holden's present residence, and 60 acres of meadow lying in several parcels on Nashobah brook, on condition that he should keep, 'except 12 Sabbath days yearly, 'a herd of 50 cattle for is. per head for the inhabitants, to be paid 'one third part in wheat, one third part in rye or peas, and the other third part in Indian corn.' They were to be constantly watched by a 'herdsman,' and kept in a yard at night to protect them from the wild beasts. Capt. Wheeler agreed to build a house '40 feet by 18, and 12 stud,' covered with shingles, and to have a 'pair of chimneys;' and a barn 40 by 24, and 12 high, to be left for the use of the town after the expiration of the lease."
The town was incorporated in 1735, one hundred years from the incorporation of Concord. The surface of the town is rough and uneven, though there are no considerable hills; and with some exceptions the soil is rocky and hard to cultivate. It contains, however, many good farms. The principal employment of the inhabitants is agriculture. There are, however, from 15,000 to 20,000 barrels annually manufactured here, and this business is a source of considerable income. There are two Congregational churches in this town, one for the Orthodox, the other for Unitarians. This place is 21 miles N. W. of Boston, and 5 N. Westerly from Concord. Population, 1,071. The first meeting house (42 feet by 36, and 21 feet high) was built in 1736, and, served as a place of worship till the present one was erected, in 1808. The Rev. John Swift was the first minister ordained in this town; this was on Nov. 8, 1738. During the prevalence of the small pox in Acton, in 1775, he was severely attacked, and was never able to preach afterwards. He died the same year, in the 37th year of his ministry. The Rev. Moses Adams was next ordained here, June 25, 1778. He died in 1819, aged 70. The Rev. Marshall Shed in 1820 became their next pastor; he was dismissed at his own request, in May, 1831. The Orthodox society seceded from the town, and formed a separate parish during the latter part of Mr. Shed's ministry, and the Rev. James T. Woodbury was ordained over them, Aug. 29, 1832. The Universalist society in this town was organized in 1816, and incorporated in 1825.
Historical Collections Relating to the History... John Warner Barber, Worcester, Warren Lazell, 1848
Visit Acton, Massachusetts, USA (Nagog Woods) (South Acton)
Discover the people who lived there, the places they visited and the stories they shared.
The comments you read here belong only to the person who posted them. We reserve the right to remove off-topic and inappropriate comments.