FREE genealogy since 1999 - History belongs to all of us!
Otisfield, Maine, USA - 1886 - Otisfield
Otisfield is the most easterly of the northern towns of Cumberland County. Thompson’s Pond separates it from Poland in Androscoggin County and from the southern part of the town of Oxford in Oxford County. Norway in the same county bounds it on the north, on the west is Harrison in Cumberland County; and Naples and Casco bound it on the south. Crooked River forms the boundary line for the entire length of the town on the western side. The ponds are Little, Moose, Saturday and Pleasant, beginning at the north of the town and increasing in size southward, the last containing two and a quarter square miles of surface. Thompson’s Pond, which washes the eastern side of the town, has an area of eight square miles. The surface of the town is uneven, the highest eminences being Scribner Hill and Meeting house Hill. The soil is gravelly, but strong and productive; and there are many fine farms in town. Corn, potatoes and hay are the principal crops. At Bolster’s Mills, Centre and East Otisfield are small saw-mills, and at Spurr’s Corner is a large clothing manufactory. Otisfield lies 36 miles N.N.W. of Portland, ? on the stage-line from that city to Bolster’s Mills. It is also on the stage-line from the Oxford Station of the Grand Trunk Railway to Naples. The town. ship was granted to Hon. James Otis, Nathaniel Gorham, and the :est of the heirs and assigns of Captain John Gorham, for services against Canada in 1770. The first plantation meeting was held in the house of Stephen Phinney. in 1787. David Ray was moderator, Joseph Wight, jr, clerk, David Ray, Benjamin Patch, and Noah Reed, assessors, and Jonathan Moors, collector. The inhabitants first voted for a representative to Congress in 1794. In 1797 the town was incorporated under its plantation name of Otisfield. At the first town meeting it was voted to settle Thomas Roby as first minister. As incorporated, it included all of Otisfield, nearly all of Harrison, and a large part of Naples. The first saw-mill was erected by David Ray. William G. Cobb was the first male child born in the town, the date of birth being Oct. 14, 1779.
The Congregationalists, Methodists, and Free Baptists each have a church in the town, and there is also a Union meeting-house. Otisfield has twelve public schoolhouses, valued at $2,300. The valuation of real estate in 1870 was $298,582. In 1880 it was $262,027. The population in 1790 was 197; in 1870 it was 1,099. The census of 1880 shows it to have decreased to 927.
A Gazetteer of the State of Maine By Geo. J. Varney Published by B. B. Russell, Boston 1886
Visit Otisfield, Maine, USA
Discover the people who lived there, the places they visited and the stories they shared.
The comments you read here belong only to the person who posted them. We reserve the right to remove off-topic and inappropriate comments.