Caribou, Maine, USA - 1886 - Caribou
Caribou is situated in the north-eastern part of Aroostook County, at the junction of the Madawaska with the Aroostook River. It comprises two contiguous townships; the northern one having formerly been Forestville Plantation, while the southern comprised Lyndon on the west, and the Eaton Grant, lying in the north-eastern bend of the Aroostook. The principal hills, and these not large enough to have a name upon the map, are a little south-east of the middle of the town, enclosed in a bend of the Aroostook. Limestone is the prevailing rock. The soil is a dark loam, yielding excellent crops of wheat, oats and potatoes. Maple, birch, cedar and spruce form the bulk of the forest trees. The Aroostook River passes up through the southern half to the centre of the town, then turning to the south-east, passes out on the eastern side. Caribou Stream enters from the west, discharging into the Aroostook at Caribou Village, near the center of the town. The Little Madawaska River comes down through the northern part of the town, forming a junction with the Aroostook near the eastern line. Otter Brook flows in from the north-west between the two other streams; while near the southern line of the town Hardwood Creek comes into the Aroostook from the west. There are several other streams of considerable size, forming a remarkable confluence of water-courses, several of which afford some available water-power. There are mills on the Little Madawaska near the middle of the town, on the eastern side, and on Otter Brook, near its junction with the Aroostook; but the large number are on Caribou Stream, at Caribou Village. There are here saw, planing, carpentry, shingle and grist mills, and a starch-factory, four of which are run by steam-power. Boots and shoes and harnesses are the principal other manufactures. This town is the terminus of the New Brunswick Railway from Frederickton and Woodstock, N. B., and of stage-lines to Van Buren, New Sweden, and Fort Fairfield. It was incorporated April 5, 1859.
There are meetings of the Baptists, Methodists, Congregationalists, Universalists and Episcopalians, some of which societies have houses of worship. There is a high-school at the village a part of the year. The town has sixteen public schoolhouses, valued with other school property at $6,800. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $155,702. In 1880 it was $337,388. The rate of taxation in the latter year was 2 per cent. The population in 1860 was 297; in 1870 it was 1,410; and in 1880, near 2,500.
A Gazetteer of the State of Maine By Geo. J. Varney Published by B. B. Russell, Boston 1886
Visit Caribou, Maine, USA
Discover the people who lived there, the places they visited and the stories they shared.
The comments you read here belong only to the person who posted them. We reserve the right to remove off-topic and inappropriate comments.