Brattleboro, Vermont, USA (West Brattleboro) - 1849 Brattleborough
Windham Co. The surface of the town is considerably broken. A little west of the centre are two elevations called Great and Little Round Mountain. They are both accessible, and most of the land capable of cultivation. The soil is similar to that generally found along the Connecticut, consisting of intervale, sand, loam and gravel, with such timber as is naturally adapted to them. The principal streams are West River and Whetstone Brook. The former runs but a short distance in town, entering it from Dummerston and falling into Connecticut River near the north-east corner. Whetstone Brook rises in Marlborough and runs through Brattleborough very near the centre. This affords many excellent water privileges, which are already occupied by a great variety of mills and other machinery.
Connecticut River forms the eastern boundary for about six miles. It runs in several places with a strong current, denominated "The swift water," by the boatmen. The river is crossed at the lower part of the east village, by a handsome bridge, built in 1804, and connecting this town with Hinsdale, N. H. A few rods above the bridge is the general landing place for merchandise, which is brought into town by boats.
There are few minerals worthy of notice. Actynolite is found here in steatite. It is in very perfect capillary crystals which are grouped together in different forms and sometimes radicated. Argillaceous slate is very abundant, and is quarried to considerable extent. Mica is found of rose red color with schorl in quartz, and abundance of schorl in beautiful crystals, and also the red oxyde of titanium.
There are two considerable villages, one standing at the mouth of Whetstone Brook, called the East Village, and the other near the centre of the town, called the West Village. The east village is one of the most active business places in the State.
In this town is one of the most extensive Water Cure Establishments in
the United States ; for a particular account of which, see Hayuard's Gazetteer of Massachusetts, p. 168.
Boundaries. North by Dummerston, east by Connecticut River, which separates it from Chesterfield, N. H., south by Vemon and Guilford, and west by Marlborough.
First Settlers. This town derives its name from Colonel Brattle, of Massachusetts, one of the principal proprietors. Fort Dummer, the first civilized establishment within the present limits of Vermont, was built in 1724, in the south-east comer of the town, on what is now called "Dummer Meadows."
A gazetteer of Vermont, containing descriptions of all the counties, towns, and districts in the state; and of all its principal mountains, rivers, waterfalls, harbors, islands, and curious places. To which are added, statistical accounts of its agriculture, commerce and manufactures; with ... other useful information
by John Hayward
Boston - Tappan, Whittemore, and Mason
Visit Brattleboro, Vermont, USA (West Brattleboro)
Discover the people who lived there, the places they visited and the stories they shared.
The comments you read here belong only to the person who posted them. We reserve the right to remove off-topic and inappropriate comments.