Bolton is a small post township, 14 miles east from Hartford; bounded on the north by Vernon, on the east by Coventry, on the south by Hebron, and on the west by East-Hartford. The township contains an area of 16 square miles; being more than 5 miles in length and 3 in breadth.
This town is embraced within the granitic district of the eastern section of the State, has an elevated situation, and is hilly and stony. The soil is a coarse, hard, gravelly loam, rather cold and sterile. It however affords tolerable grazing; and the dairy business is the leading agricultural interest.
The natural growth of timber is oak, walnut, maple, chesnut, &c.; and the forests are considerably extensive. The farmers, in the fall and winter seasons, bring large quantities of wood to Hartford market.
A branch of Hop river runs through the northeastern section of the town, and a branch of Salmon river through the southwestern.
The Hartford and Norwich turnpike road leads through the centre of town.
There are, in Bolton, 2 Grain Mills, 1 Fulling Mill and Clothier's works, 1 Tannery, 2 Mercantile Stores and 1 Tavern.
The population of the town, in 1810, was 700; and there are 100 Dwelling houses, 1 Company of Militia, and about 120 Electors.
The town forms one located Congregational Society; and there is, besides, a small Society of Episcopalians. There are 5 School Districts and Schools, 1 small Social Library, 2 Physicians and 1 Clergyman.
Bolton was settled in 1716, and was incorporated in 1720.
Comments & Corrections