Tolland, Connecticut, USA - 1819 - Tolland
Tolland, the seat of justice for the county, is situated 18 miles east from Hartford, 52 northeast from New-Haven, and 42 northwest from New-London. It is bounded east on the Willimantic river, which separates it from Willington, west by Vernon and Ellington, south by Coventry, and north by Ellington. It contains about 36 square miles; being more than 6 miles in length, and 5 and a half miles in breadth.
The town is uneven and rough, being mountainous and stony. The soil is gravelly; but some of the valleys and borders of streams consist of a loam which is warm and fertile.
The lands are best adapted to grazing, being too rough and stony for plowing, although some corn, oats, rye and flax are raised.
The forests, which are extensive, consist principally of oak and chesnut; comprising, however, various other deciduous trees.
The geological structure consists of granite, schistus and other rocks of a primitive formation. Large masses of granite appear upon the surface, some of which are detached and insulated, others of a connected stratum. Iron ore is found in many places in this range of mountains; but we hae not ascertained that nay has been discovered within this town.
There is a mineral spring in the town, the waters of which possess similar medicinal qualities to those of Stafford; but it has not acquired any celebrity abroad.
The town is watered by the Willimantic and the Skungamug rivers, and innumerable small streams. There are three brides across the former, and four across the latter of these rivers.
Snipsick pond is a large body of water, being 2 miles in length, and 100 rods in width. There is also a pond called Skungamug in the town.
The civil divisions of the town are 1 located or Congregational Society and 13 School Districts.
In the centre of the town, is a pleasant village, having an elevated and prospective situation. It is about half a mile in length, and contains a Court House and Gaol, for the county, 2 Churches, a Post office, and about 30 Dwelling houses, some of which are neat and handsome buildings.
There are several turnpike roads which pass through this town; Hartford and Tolland turnpike, leading from the former to the latter place, and from thence to Boston; Stafford turnpike, and Tolland county turnpike.
There were, in 1810, 1610 inhabitants in the town. There are now 250 qualified Electors, 3 companies of Militia and about 300 Dwelling houses.
There is 1 Furnace, for casting iron, 3 Grain Mills, 3 Saw Mills, 3 Distilleries, 3 Tanneries, 2 Fulling Mills, 1 Carding Machine and 4 Mercantile Stores.
There are 3 Churches; one for Congregationalists, one for Baptists and one for Methodists, 1 Social Library, 13 common or District Schools, 2 Clergymen, 3 Attornies and 4 Physicians.
The general list of taxable polls and estate of the town is $37,335.
Tolland was incorporated as a town in the year 1715.
A Gazetteer of the States of Connecticut and Rhode-Island: Written with Care and Impartiality, from Original and Authentic Materials : Consisting of Two Parts ... with an Accurate and Improved Map of Each State Authors John Chauncey Pease, John Milton Niles Publisher W.S. Marsh, 1819
Visit Tolland, Connecticut, USA
Discover the people who lived there, the places they visited and the stories they shared.
The comments you read here belong only to the person who posted them. We reserve the right to remove off-topic and inappropriate comments.