Sharon, Massachusetts, USA - Sharon Massachusetts, 1890
Sharon occupies the highlands which form the water-shed of streams flowing in opposite directions — northeasterly towards Massachusetts or southwesterly towards Narragansett Bay. It has for its boundaries Norwood on the north, Canton on the northeast, Stoughton on the east, Easton and Mansfield on the southeast, Foxborough on the southwest, and Walpole on the west. It lies at the middle of the southern side of Norfolk County, 22 miles southwest of Boston by the Boston and Providence Railroad; whose stations here are Sharon and Sharon Heights, and Massapoag Pond in summer. The post-offices are the first and East Sharon.
The assessed area of the town is 13,764 acres. There are above 1000 acres of forest, including white and pitch pine, oak, elm, chestnut and maple. The flora generally is rich and various. There is found here a wood violet that is very large and fragrant. The chief rock is sienite, and there is much iron-ore at one or more places. The whole extent of the town is elevated from 300 to 530 feet above sea-level. The highest point of land is Moose Hill, in the western section, which commands one of the finest prospects in the county. Near it on south and east rise three bold eminences, — Bluff, Hobb's and Bald hills. In the southeast section is Rattlesnake Hill, and in the southwest are Bearfoot and Cow hills, — between which run a lively streamlet and numerous railroad trains. Besides several mill-ponds there are two natural lakes, — Wolomolpoag (Indian meaning "sweet water") among the hills near the centre, and Massapoag ("large water") beyond the hills a mile southward. The first has an area of 16 acres; the last of 435. Around it are summer residences and three or more hotels. Puffer's Brook and the outlets of these ponds are feeders of the Neponset River. Not a drop of water, it is said, runs into Sharon from another town, while its streams flow directly into seven towns.
The soil is loamy and fertile. Large quantities of timber, fire-wood, charcoal and bark are sent to market. Many acres are devoted to cranberries and strawberries, and apple and other fruit trees are numerous. Large market-gardens and poultry farms are found here. The aggregate value of the product of the 73 farms in the town in 1885 was reported in the State census as $70,006. A duck, a cutlery and a trowel factory employ about 75 persons. Other manufactures are carriages, boots and shoes, lumber, boxes, leather, polishes and wrought stone. The value of the goods made was $128,208. The population was 1,328, including 338 legal voters. The valuation in 1888 was $1,107,677, with a tax-rate of $10 on $1,090. There were 335 taxed dwelling-houses. There is a very good town-hall, a public library of about 3,000 volumes, and graded schools, including a high school. These are supported partly by an invested fund. The five school-houses are valued at about $9,000. The three churches are Congregationalist, Baptist and Unitarian. Two weekly papers are issued here. called the "Advocate" and the "Ozone."
The original name of this township was Massapoag, but it was later known as Stoughtonham. On June 20, 1765, it was incorporated under its present beautiful Scripture name, which means "his field" or "his song." A part of Stoughton was annexed in 1792, and another part in 1864. The Rev. Philip Curtis, the first minister, was ordained in 1743, and continued in charge of the church more than 54 years.
The town is remarkable for the charm of its scenery, the excellence of its atmosphere and the longevity of its inhabitants.
A Gazetteer of the State of Massachusetts, with Numerous Illustrations Rev. Elias Nason, M.A.; revised and enlarged by George J. Varney. Boston: B.B. Russell. 1890, 724 pages
Visit Sharon, Massachusetts, USA
Discover the people who lived there, the places they visited and the stories they shared.
The comments you read here belong only to the person who posted them. We reserve the right to remove off-topic and inappropriate comments.