GreenerPasture Genealogy

Sign In

BEST FREE ancestry website since 1999 - History belongs to all of us!

Add MY Family To This Page

flag  History of Yamaska, Québec, Canada

Journey back in time to Yamaska, Québec, Canada


Visit Yamaska, Québec, Canada. Discover its history. Learn about the people who lived there through stories, old newspaper articles, pictures, postcards and ancestry.

Do You Have Yamaska Roots? Share MY Ancestral Story!

Yamaska, Québec, Canada - Eglise St-Michel dYamaska (Canada) 141, rue Principale, Yamaska, QUÉBEC Established 1833

Yamaska, Québec, Canada

The town of Yamaska is part of the regional county municipality of Pierre-de-Saurel – formerly known as the MRC du Bas-Richelieu, located in the administrative region of Montérégie.

The name of the municipality refers to Mont Yamaska (at an altitude of 411 meters) and the Yamaska River. In the Iroquois language, this word means “place where rushes grow”. This name refers to the mouth of the Yamaska River where you can still see the marshes that surround Lavallière Bay.

The municipality of Yamask covers more than 74 square kilometers.

The current municipality of Yamaska was created on December 19, 2001, following the consolidation of Saint-Michel de Yamaska, Yamaska-Est and Yamaska.

Yamaska is a renowned vacation spot, whose constructions near Baie Saint-François are typical of floodplains. The chalets are erected on stilts.

This former municipality of Montérégie is located 15 km east of Sorel, between Sainte-Anne-de-Sorel to the west and Saint-François-du-Lac to the east. The major element of the landscape remains the Yamaska River, which flows through the center of the territory, which also encompasses that of the municipalities of the villages of Yamaska and Yamaska-Est to form Grand-Yamaska. We must go back to the beginning of the 16th century to determine the beginnings of territorial development with the canonical erection of the parish of Saint-Michel-d'Yamaska in 1722, confirmed in 1838. Erected in 1727, it will be at the origin of the municipality of the same name established in 1855.

Yamaska, for its part, which identifies the river, comes, according to Father Guinard, from the Amerindian iyamakaw, “there is a lot of rush, hay”. The Maskoutains, who share their collective name with the citizens of Saint-Hyacinthe, Saint-Hyacinthe-le-Confesseur, Yamaska and Yamaska Est, were once mostly farmers and took advantage of the abundance of hay, as evidenced by the Native American constituent of the municipal name. Today, the wood and brick trade is the mainstay of the local economy.

There is MUCH more to discover about Yamaska, Québec, Canada. Read on!

Yamaska Nostalgia: Vintage Photos, Ads, and Postcards

Eglise St-Michel d'Yamaska (Canada)
141, rue Principale, Yamaska, QUÉBEC
Established 1833
Yamaska, Québec, Canada

Eglise St-Michel d'Yamaska (Canada)
141, rue Principale, Yamaska, QUÉBEC
Established 1833

Yamaska, Québec, Canada

Couvent des Soeurs L'Assomption
Yamaska, Québec, Canada

Couvent des Soeurs L'Assomption

Discover Yamaska: History, News, Travel, and Stories

Add informationAdd History/News/Story
In 1694, Michel Leneuf sold it to Pierre Petit dit Gobin who undertook the construction of a first chapel (on the island of the Domaine).
The settlement of the region only really began in the 1720s, and the municipality of the parish of Saint-Michel-de-Yamaska was incorporated in civil law in 1845.
1727 - The parish of Yamaska is established

Le Programme de recherche en démographie historique - Univeriste de Montreal
1832 - YAMASKA,
seigniory, in the co. of Yamaska, is bounded N.E. by St. Francois; S.W. by Sorel and Bonsecoeurs; in the rear by Bourgmarie East; in front by Lake St. Peter. This property is described in the title to be only about a half a league in front, but in reality it is 1 1/ 2 league by 3 leagues in depth. Granted, Sept. 24, 1683, to M. de Lavaliere and is now the property of J. M. de Tonnacour, Esq. - Cultivation of a favourable description extends over nearly one half of the seigniory; the different concessions, large and small, amount to upwards of 160, lying on each side of the River Yamsaka, by the Petit Chenail, and in the Cotes St. Louis and Ste. Catherine. The Bay of La Vallier or Yamaksa, extends across the upper part of it into Sorel, and that of St. Francois makes rather a deep incision on its eastern side; immediately surrounding these bays the land is low and marshy, but a short distance from them are many large tracts of most excellent meadow; farther to the rear the soil is rich... Read MORE...

1833 - Église de Saint-Michel established at Yamaska
1835 - Yamaska County
Yamaska County is bounded on the north-west by lake St. Peter, north-east by Nicolet county, south east by Drummond county, and south-west by Richelieu county. This county is about twenty miles long from north-east to south-west, and fifteen miles wide, and contains two hundred and eighty-three square miles. This county comprehends the Seigniories of LaBaieduFebvre, Courval, Lausaudiere, Pierreville, St. Francais, Yamaska, East Bourgnoice and Dequire. Much of the soil of this county is of a good quality, and some parts of it are in a high state of cultivation. Along the lake is an extensive tract of low meadow land, which is interersected by numerous clear rivulets, and in summer affords excellent pasturage. The eastern part, of the county is watered by a branch of the Nicolet; the St. Francis passes through the central part, and the Yamaska river falls into Lake St. Peter in the western part. The principal places are St. Antoine, Indian Village on the St. Francis, and Yamaska on... Read MORE...

1851 - School Fire
The Grand Jury of the Court of Queen's Bench, at Three Rivers, ignored the Bill against Mr. Forquin, M. P. P. and others, charged with having set fire to a school house at Yamaska. Five school rioters were convicted, and three of the witnesses were tried and convicted of perjury for denying the truth of the statements they had made in their preliminary examinations.
New-York Tribune
New York, New York
February 25, 1851
1851 - Washed Away
The Yamaska, a tributary of the St. Lawrence, in Canada, has undermined and washed away 72 acres of land, with three houses, out houses, cattle, horses, one woman and two children. Also 3,000 cords of wood.
Daily Free Democrat
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
May 3, 1851
The contemporary history of Yamaska begins in 1683 with the concession made to Michel Leneuf de La Vallière et de Beaubassin.
YAMASKA. a county of Quebec. It is centrally situated, and drained by the Nicolet, St. Francis and Yamaska Rivers, entering Lake St. Peter, which bounds it on the N.W. Capital, St. Francois. Pop. 16,317

YAMASKA. a flourishing post village in Yamaska co., Que , on the River Yamaska, 31 miles from St. Hyacinthe. It contains a telegraph office, 4 stores, and several mills. Pop. 800.
Lovell's gazetteer of British North America; J. Lovell; Montreal, 1873
1875 - September 28, 1875 - Intercolonial train derailed near Yamaska by heavy timbers on the track, killing ten; probably sabotage or vandalism. todayincanadianhistory/ index.php/ September_28
1884 - Bridge Blown Down
St. Hyacinthe, Quebec., Dec. 15. - The first span of the new bridge, being erected across the river at Yamaska, was blown down to-day. A man named Allard and several others were injured.

Later - Allard is dead. A man named St. Germain and another are dying and fifteen others are seriously, though not fatally, injured.
The Inter Ocean
Chicago, Illinois
December 16, 1884
1894 - Shaken by an Earthquake
YAMASKA, Quebec, November 12. - Earthquake shocks, quite violent, and lasting about ten seconds, were felt here last night at 11.40 o'clock. They were accompanied by a low rumbling sound which appeared to be from west to east.
Altoona Tribune
Altoona, Pennsylvania
November 13, 1894
1895 - Yamaska
Yamaska, a post-village in Yamaska co., Quebec, on the river Yamaska, 31 miles N. of St. Hyacinthe. It contains 4 stores and several mills. Pop. 800.
Lippincott's Gazetteer of the World: A Complete Pronouncing Gazetteer Or Geographical Dictionary of the World Containing Notices of Over One Hundred and Twenty-five Thousand Places ... Joseph Thomas January 1, 1895 J.B. Lippincott
1896 - Hail Storm on Sunday
Yamaska, Que., May 11. - At 4 o'clock yesterday afternoon it hailed for over a minute, entirely covering the ground with hail stones the size of pigeon's eggs. The storm was accompanied by strong north winds, followed by a heavy shower. A number of church windows were broken and also those of several houses.
The Ottawa Journal
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
May 11, 1896
1897 - Poor Crops
Yamaska, Que., June 3. - Crops here and vicinity have a very poor appearance. Farmers think that hay especially will be scarce. General outlook is discouraging on account of constant low temperature and rainy weather. This place was visited by a light front a few days ago which did little damage to gardening. Many farmers are still seeding.
The Ottawa Journal
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
June 9, 1897
Yamaska, a post-village of Yamaska co., Quebec on the river Yamaska, 31 miles N. of St. Hyacinthe, on the Quebec Southern R. Pop. in 1901, 762.
Lippincott's New Gazetteer: A Complete Pronouncing Gazetteer Or Geographical Dictionary of the World, Containing the Most Recent and Authentic Information Respecting the Countries, Cities, Towns ... in Every Portion of the Globe Publisher J.B. Lippincott Company, 1906
2023 - Here's a list of places to visit and things to do in Yamaska, Quebec:
Yamaska National Park (Parc national de la Yamaska): This is the crown jewel of the region, offering a wide range of outdoor activities. You can hike, bike, or cross-country ski on the park's scenic trails. The park is also known for its water activities, including kayaking, canoeing, and swimming in the pristine waters of Lake Yamaska.

Camping: Yamaska National Park offers excellent camping facilities. Spend a night or more under the stars, surrounded by nature. It's a great way to disconnect from the hustle and bustle of city life.

Bird Watching: The park is a birdwatcher's paradise. With over 230 bird species recorded, it's a great place for bird enthusiasts. Don't forget your binoculars and camera!

Yamaska Beach: Enjoy a day at the beach on the shores of Lake Yamaska. It's a perfect spot for sunbathing, picnicking, or playing beach volleyball. The water is usually quite refreshing on a hot summer day.

Biking Trails: Yamaska offers a network of biking trails suitable... Read MORE...

Discover MY Roots: Yamaska Ancestry

Ancestors Who Were Born or Died in Yamaska, Québec, Canada

We currently have information about 1,245 ancestors who were born or died in Yamaska.

View Them Now (sorted by year of birth)

Ancestors Who Were Married in Yamaska, Québec, Canada

We currently have information about ancestors who were married in Yamaska.

View Them Now

male ancestorÉtienne MONDOU (MONDOUX) (7 July 1702 - 15 November 1751) and female ancestorGertrude DANIS (13 April 1709 - ) married 11 October 1735
male ancestorPaul HUS PAUL (11 November 1702 - 19 September 1773) and female ancestorMarie-Rose DEGUIRE dite DESROSIERS (30 June 1709 - 29 December 1750) married 12 January 1728
male ancestorPierre COCHU (27 July 1699 - 7 February 1776) and female ancestorAngélique CANTARA (15 February 1705 - 11 November 1755) married 9 February 1728
male ancestorRené MINEAU (1 April 1705 - 9 September 1767) and female ancestorMarie-Josephe MORNEAU (22 September 1709 - 4 January 1774) married 3 November 1728
male ancestorJoseph BIBEAU (15 August 1702 - 23 November 1776) and female ancestorMarie-Françoise MINEAU (11 July 1709 - 1 April 1769) married 17 April 1730
male ancestorLouis FRAPPIER (9 February 1707 - 3 May 1752) and female ancestorMarie-Catherine HAREL (3 October 1714 - 20 June 1741) married 10 July 1730
male ancestorPierre JEAN dit VIENS (7 May 1700 - 23 February 1777) and female ancestorCatherine CANTARA (16 May 1707 - 14 January 1788) married 6 February 1730
male ancestorEtienne ONDOYER dit BOISVERT (1 December 1704 - 28 May 1783) and female ancestorMarie-Madeleine MORNEAU (1 January 1714 - 29 November 1789) married 3 March 1731
male ancestorJoseph DEGUIRE dit DESROSIERS (1 November 1704 - 12 February 1789) and female ancestorAngélique PEPIN (5 June 1711 - 2 November 1794) married 16 March 1731

Our Yamaska Gift Ideas

Not the place you are looking for? Try again!

Search for MY Family by Place

To search for a place, specify place name below. Choose name from the list. Then SEARCH.
*Place Name:


HOTELS.COM - Save 10% - 30% on your next escape!

Ancestry Family Tree Search

Search for MY Family by Name

NOTE: If you don't know your ancestor's whole name or are unsure of the spelling, specify part of the name.

First Name:
*Last Name:
Born (+/- 2 years):
Died (+/- 2 years):
Match all terms exactly:

Updated: 9/15/2023 4:46:58 PM