LONGUEUIL, the chief town of the co. of Chambly, prettily situated on the right bank of the St. Lawrence, 3 miles from Montreal. It contains churches for the Roman Catholics, and Episcopalians, a telegraph office, and several stores and hotel. Longueuil was the terminus of the Grand Trunk Railway until the construction of the Victoria Bridge, when the rails were removed and the offices and works closed. It is the summer residence of many Montrealers. Pop. 2,083, a decrease of 753 as compared with 1861. This was long a favorite retreat of the late Mgr. Deneaux, Bishop of Quebec.
Lovell's gazetteer of British North America; J. Lovell; Montreal, 1873