ISLE-JESUS, a seignory of Lower Canada, in the co. of Terrebonne, separated from the mainland by the river St. Jean or Jesus, and from the island of Montreal on the NW by the Riviere-des-Prairies. It is 21 m. in length, and 6 m. at its greatest breadth, and is in its entire extent level, fertile and well-cultivated. It possesses excellent roads, and is connected by several ferries with the mainland and adjacent island. It contains 3 parishes. The houses are mostly built of stone.
A Gazetteer of the World: Or, Dictionary of Geographical Knowledge,Vol 4,Publisher A. Fullarton,1859