FREE genealogy since 1999 - History belongs to all of us!
Get Started Sign In
Menu Menu
Search Search
Family Tree Family Tree
Daily News Daily News
Bookmarks Bookmarks
Not on this site Don't end up on this site as someone's ancestor!
Visit our Port Arthur, Texas, USA page!
Discover the people who lived there, the places they visited and the stories they shared.


Out of respect to the dead as a result of the GULF OF VENEZUELA disaster, a number of Port Arthur business men have suggested that all business houses close Tuesday between the hours of 11 a.m. and 12 o'clock noon. The banks of the city have taken the lead in the matter and all other business concerns are expected to join in the move.

Shortly after noon today, the casualty list in the explosion aboard the tanker GULF OF VENEZUELA, here, Sunday morning stood at 26 dead, three dying and seven seriously injured.

The blast, which occurred at 2:45 a.m. Sunday, caught most of the men asleep in their bunks and it is generally conceded by physicians that death in most cases was instantaneous, as they say the explosion was of sufficient violence to stop the heart action of those inside the hold of the vessel.

The work of identification was made very difficult by the charred condition of the bodies, individual identification being possible in only eight of the twenty-five cases. The names of the other 17 dead are known, but they cannot be individually identified.

While preparations are being made to bury most of the bodies this afternoon, officials of the Gulf company, have under way a thorough investigation, to determine if possible the exact cause of the disaster, several theories having been advanced as to how the gasoline vapors were ignited.

The disaster is the worst in the history of Sabine district refineries, and while the vessel was a raging inferno for a time, the company's fire fighters, experienced in the fighting of oil fires, succeeded with the use of chemicals in confining the greatest damage to amidship in the vicinity of the explosion, and the work of removing the dead and injured was soon under way.

As the homes of practically all the dead are far distant, it is anticipated that they will all be buried here.

The vessel was one of the largest in the Gulf Co.'s fleet of tankers. Being of 4276 tons register and having capacity of 85,000 barrels. At the time of the explosion she was being loaded with a full cargo of high test gasoline and only ten minutes more time would have been required to finish the pumping on of the cargo.

The members of the crew of the ship who were nearly all either killed or injured, were only recently welcomed into Port Arthur and greeted as heroes of the sea following their rescue of two members of the crew of a barge in the Atlantic, and thus were better known here than the average seaman.

The men, who had been drifting in a life boat in the open sea for more than 24 hours, were rescued with great risk by some of the same men who yesterday lost their lives.


Names of twenty-six men known to have lost their lives to date as a result of the Gulf of Venezuela disaster Sunday morning were made available to The Port Arthur News by Captain JOHN CHARLTON of the ill-fated ship and Gulf Refining company officials.

The names of three Port Arthur dock workers who died from injuries in the blast aboard the tanker are:
FRANK TYLER, 712 East Seventeenth street.
FRANK PETTY, 2100 Sixteenth street.
RUDOLPH FUSELIER, 848 Thirteenth street.

The names of 22 members of the crew who died in the disaster as announced by Capt. CHARLTON are:
R. TWEEDELE, seaman, Chester, Penna.
R. C. RASMUSSEN, seaman, Norway.
E. HOFFMANN, seaman, Germany.
C. A. KOSER, seamen, Collingswood, N. J.
F. LARSEN, seaman, Sweden.
PETER LOOP, seaman, address unknown.
CHRIS VANVIK, seaman, address unknown.
JOHN DAHL, seaman, address unknown.
C. NORDWALL, seaman, address unknown.
M. LEELMISH, seaman, address unknown.
H. SCHICK, first pumpman, address unknown.
J. FOSS, second pumpman, address unknown.
R. KELLY, machinist, address unknown.
C. N. WAECHTER, doorkeeper, address unknown.
N. STEWART, oiler, address unknown.
H. BREMSER, oiler, address unknown.
E. HELLAND, fireman, address unknown.
JOHN F. LOPEZ, chief cook, address unknown.
G. A. SILVA, second cook, address unknown.
C. PROUDFORD, messman, address unknown.
HERBERT LUMBER, messman, address unknown.
D. MORRISON, messman, address unknown.
DANIEL FITZPATRICK, wiper, address unknown.

Those listed above with addresses unknown are recorded at New York offices of the Gulf company's marine department, with which the local Gulf marine officials are now making a check.

Ten injured are in Mary Gates hospital where they are under medical attention, at least three of them being expected to die. The three thought fatally injured are:
BOWEN HARWELL, 124 Sixth street, Port Arthur, dock worker.
JULIUS EDWARSON, ship's carpenter, Norway, probably fatally burned.
TIMOTHY FITZMAURICE, 21 Bay street, Dorchester, Mass., perhaps fatally injured and burned.

The other seven in the hospital who have good prospects of recovery but are none the less seriously burned are:
P. F. MORRELL, 13 Whittier street, Portland, Maine.
BERT FRAZER, 800 Ninth street, Port Arthur, burned on head, body and arms.
FRANK WOOD, 1947 Procter, Port Arthur, second mate; burned about head, neck and legs.
L. W. M'FADDIN, 210 Third street, Port Arthur, burned about hands.
GUNNAR BOLLVICK, 25 South street, New York City, burned and bruised.
J. G. SCHULTZ, 3631 West Reese street, Philadelphia, 3rd assistant engineer.
CONRAD JACKSTEAD, chief engineer, 136 North First street, Philadelphia.


The Port Arthur News

Port Arthur, Texas

Go Back

The comments you read here belong only to the person who posted them. We reserve the right to remove off-topic and inappropriate comments.