Stamford, Connecticut, USA
See More

1911 - KILLED BY ELECTRIC SWITCH.


1911 - KILLED BY ELECTRIC SWITCH.

Engineer Tries to Divert Current and Falls from Cab.

Special to The New York Times.

STAMFORD, Conn., July 3. - James Coyle of 471 East 130th Street, New York, an engineer on a New Haven Railroad train, was fatally burned on the New Canaan branch of the road this morning.

In throwing a switch to divert the electric current from one track to another Coyle used a wooden paddle that was, apparently, too short. It appears that his hand slipped off and came in contact with a wire carrying a heavy current. There were a few lurid flashes and Coyle fell out of the locomotive, his clothing on fire. The flames were beaten out quickly and Coyle was hurried to the Stamford Hospital. He died there at 8 o'clock to-night.


 

The New York Times

New York, New York



Go Back


The comments you read here belong only to the person who posted them. We reserve the right to remove off-topic and inappropriate comments.