BALLSTON SPA. (AP) - The 96 year old United Methodist church at nearby Galway was destroyed by fire yesterday.
The flames fanned by a high wind, went out of control despite efforts of firemen from Galway and seven other Saratoga county villages, Fire Chief C. Duane McChesney said. He estimated the damage at $50,000. No one was injured.
Sparks from the church set fire to a barn owned by John H. Teachout a quarter-mile away, McChesney said, causing an estimated additional $500 damage. The barn fire was quickly extinguished.
McChesney said the fire started from soot in the chimney and later two oil burners in the rear of the church exploded.
This FREE genealogy website is a collection of contributions from many generous "family" members who want to share their family with others. We are not necessarily related to or researching a person just because their name is on this site. While we do our best to be accurate, we sometimes make mistakes. Please use this information as a guide. Verify the information with your own research. If you find any errors, please email us and report them. Thanks!