Guilford, New Haven, Connecticut, USA - Old Stone House (Erected 1639)
Guilford, Conn.
Guilford, New Haven, Connecticut, USA

Old Stone House (Erected 1639)
Guilford, Conn.

"The Henry Whitfield House is a historic house located at 248 Old Whitfield Street in Guilford, Connecticut, down the street from the town green.[3] ... Read MORE...

Postcard 







Guilford, New Haven, Connecticut, USA - Great Harbor, Leetes Island, Guilford, Conn.
Guilford, New Haven, Connecticut, USA

Great Harbor, Leetes Island, Guilford, Conn.
Postcard 



Guilford, New Haven, Connecticut, USA - Club House and Cottages, Sachem Head
Guilford, New Haven, Connecticut, USA

Club House and Cottages, Sachem Head
Postcard 





Don't end up on this site as someone's ancestor!








Who are you searching for?

Specify search criteria below. Then SEARCH.
NOTE: If you don't know the whole name or are unsure of the spelling, specify part of the name.

First Name:
Last Name:(maiden)
Soundex:
Gender:
Born:
Died:

Search by Place

To search for a place, specify place name below. Then SEARCH.
Place Name:

Browse by Place

Choose country, state/province combination below. Then BROWSE.


Guilford, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
People, Pictures and News From the Past

Where is Guilford, New Haven, Connecticut, USA?  In May of 1639, a band of puritans, led by the Reverend Henry Whitfield, left England to seek religious freedom in the New World. They set sail for Quinnipiac (now called New Haven) and arrived there later that Summer.

After negotiating with the local Native Americans, who were represented by their squaw sachem (female chief) Shaumpishuh, the group purchased land halfway between New Haven and Saybrook. There they established the plantation of Menuncatuck, which would later be known as Guilford.
www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/ ~ctcguilf/ history.html

Add YOUR Ancestor To This Page



History / News


Add History/News

1639 - Gulford, CT is settled
Originally called Menunkatucket, the Quinnipiac sold it, along with land stretching from present day Niantic to Branford, to Puritans led by Henry Whitfield. It was settled in 1639, renamed Guilford, and admitted to New Haven Colony in 1643.
connecticuthistory.org/ towns-page/ guilford/
Added: 8/25/2014 9:49:26 AM - 1  Updated: -

1643 - First church built on the "green" in Guilford

A Modern History of New Haven and Eastern New Haven County, Volume 1 By Everett Gleason Hill
Added: 8/25/2014 9:47:54 AM - 1  Updated: -

1743 - Protestant Episcopal Church built in Guilford

A Modern History of New Haven and Eastern New Haven County, Volume 1 By Everett Gleason Hill
Added: 8/25/2014 9:50:39 AM - 1  Updated: -

1771 - (Guilford, CT) - St. Alban's Masonic lodge, F. A. & M. was instituted in 1771.

A Modern History of New Haven and Eastern New Haven County, Volume 1 By Everett Gleason Hill
Added: 8/25/2014 9:57:46 AM - 1  Updated: -

1793 - (Guilford, CT) - When Nicholas Loysel, a Frenchman, learned of the beheading of King Louis XVI of France, he painted his house black. It remained that way for many years.

A Modern History of New Haven and Eastern New Haven County, Volume 1 By Everett Gleason Hill
Added: 8/25/2014 10:03:21 AM - 1  Updated: -

1819 - Guilford
Guilford, and ancient and populous maritime post township, is situated upon Long-Island sound, 15 miles east of New-Haven, and 35 south from Hartford; bounded on the north by Durham, on the east by Hammonassett river, which separates it from Killingworth, on the south by Long Island sound, and on...Read MORE...


1838 - Guilford Methodist Church organized

A Modern History of New Haven and Eastern New Haven County, Volume 1 By Everett Gleason Hill
Added: 8/25/2014 9:51:30 AM - 1  Updated: -

1847 - The first iron foundry in Guilford was established at Jones' Bridge in 1847.

A Modern History of New Haven and Eastern New Haven County, Volume 1 By Everett Gleason Hill
Added: 8/25/2014 9:59:59 AM - 1  Updated: -

News  1858 - Justice?
Justice must move very slowly in Guilford, Conn. Some six weeks ago, a girl was charged with stealing a diamond pin worth $100, and was committed to await her trial for the theft. The pin, which had not been stolen, but only lost, was found within ten days after the charge was made, and yet, it is...Read MORE...


1859 - Guilford Fair
The first Guilford Fair was held in the fall of 1859. It was run by the Guilford Agricultural Society.
Added: 11/19/2013 10:16:27 AM - 1  Updated: 8/25/2014 9:59:20 AM - 1

1859
GUILFORD, a township in New Haven co., Connecticut, 52 m. S of Hartford. Pop. 2,421.
A Gazetteer of the World: Or, Dictionary of Geographical Knowledge, Publisher A. Fullarton, 1859
Added: 2/11/2014 10:17:28 AM - 1  Updated: 11/19/2014 1:58:23 PM - 1

1868 - The oldest house in the United States
is believed, by some to be a stone edifice in Guilford, Conn. It was built in 1640, the stone being brought on hand-barrows from a ledge at some distance from the site of the building. The cement with which the walls were laid up is said to be harder than the stone itself. The first wedding in...Read MORE...


News  1869 - Fitz Greene Halleck Monument
The monument erected to the memory of Fitz Greene Halleck, at Guilford, Conn., was dedicated on the 8th, with appropriate ceremonies. About 3,000 persons were in attendance.
St Joseph Herald
Saint Joseph, Michigan
July 17, 1869
Added: 4/25/2014 3:29:33 PM - 1  Updated: 6/16/2014 7:39:30 AM - 1

1875 - Savings Bank founded in Guilford, CT

A Modern History of New Haven and Eastern New Haven County, Volume 1 By Everett Gleason Hill
Added: 8/25/2014 9:53:15 AM - 1  Updated: -

1877 - Shore Line Sentinel (weekly newspaper) began publishing in Guilford

A Modern History of New Haven and Eastern New Haven County, Volume 1 By Everett Gleason Hill
Added: 8/25/2014 9:54:41 AM - 1  Updated: -

1881 - The canning industry came to Guilford in 1881 with the opening of Sachem's Head Canning Company.

A Modern History of New Haven and Eastern New Haven County, Volume 1 By Everett Gleason Hill
Added: 8/25/2014 10:01:14 AM - 1  Updated: -

1891 - Guilford Free Library constructed

A Modern History of New Haven and Eastern New Haven County, Volume 1 By Everett Gleason Hill
Added: 8/25/2014 9:53:48 AM - 1  Updated: -

1894 - (Guilford, CT) - Charles H. Scholey purchased the Shore Line Times from Rev. E. M. Jerome of Fair Haven, and brought the newspaper operation to Guilford.

A Modern History of New Haven and Eastern New Haven County, Volume 1 By Everett Gleason Hill
Added: 8/25/2014 9:56:17 AM - 1  Updated: -

1910 - Population of Guilford, CT is 3,001

A Modern History of New Haven and Eastern New Haven County, Volume 1 By Everett Gleason Hill
Added: 8/25/2014 9:52:37 AM - 1  Updated: -

1916
Guilford, a banking post-borough of New Haven co., Conn., in Guilford township (town), on Long Island Sound and on the New York, New Haven and Hartford R., 16 miles E. of New Haven. It has a foundry, wagon-wheel and canning-factories. Guilford was the birthplace of Fitz- Greene Halleck. Pop. in...Read MORE...



Ancestors Who Were Born Here

We currently have information about 28 ancestors who were born in Guilford, New Haven, Connecticut, USA.
View Them Now (sorted by last name) View Them Now (sorted by year of birth)



Ancestors Who Died Here

We currently have information about 33 ancestors who were died in Guilford, New Haven, Connecticut, USA.
View Them Now (sorted by last name) View Them Now (sorted by year of death)



Ancestors Who Were Married Here


1651
William Seward (1627 - 29 March 1689) & Grace Norton (13 January 1632 - 5 March 1704)
married 2 April 1651

1657
John Graves (1633 - 31 December 1695) & Elizabeth Cruttenden (1639 - 3 June 1669)
married 26 November 1657

1658
John Parmelee (15 February 1615 - 31 January 1689) & Hannah Plaine (1638 - 8 January 1688)
married 9 February 1658

1670
John Leete (1639 - 25 November 1692) & Mary Chittenden (17 August 1647 - 9 March 1712)
married 4 October 1670

1694
John Meigs (11 January 1670 - 19 December 1718) & Rebecca Hand (11 November 1670 - 19 December 1718)
married 20 July 1694

1698
John Leete (4 January 1673 - 18 May 1731) & Sarah Allen (20 October 1675 - 8 March 1712)
married

1720
Thomas French (30 October 1698 - 16 January 1772) & Sarah Graves (14 April 1699 - 30 May 1784)
married 14 December 1720

1755
Ezekiel Meigs (21 June 1733 - 19 December 1779) & Asenath Seward (20 December 1731 - 10 February 1773)
married 31 December 1755

1769
John Smith (abt. 1743 - abt. 1814) & Anastasie Hébert (abt. 1743 - 7 April 1814)
married 18 December 1769
 




Cemeteries in Guilford, New Haven, Connecticut, USA






Are you from Guilford, New Haven, Connecticut, USA? Do you have ancestors from there?

If you'd like to be contacted by others who have ancestors from Guilford, New Haven, Connecticut, USA, leave a message here!
The comments you read here belong only to the person who posted them. We reserve the right to remove off-topic and inappropriate comments.