Trois-Rivières, Québec, Canada (Trois Rivieres) (Three Rivers)
Where is Trois-Rivières, Québec, Canada (Trois Rivieres) (Three Rivers)?
People, Pictures and News From the Past
Trois-Rivières is a city in the Mauricie region of Quebec, Canada, located along the densely populated Quebec City-Windsor Corridor at the confluence of the Saint-Maurice and Saint Lawrence rivers. It was founded in 1634, the second permanent settlement in New France. The current city was created in 2002 from the merging of six towns : Cap-de-la-Madeleine, Pointe-du-Lac, Sainte-Marthe-du-Cap, Saint-Louis-de-France, Trois-Rivières and Trois-Rivières-Ouest.
Three Rivers dates far back in the history of French colonization in Canada. On one of the islands at the mouth of the noble tributary which here enters the St. Lawrence. Cartier, in 1534, planted a cross in the name of the King of France. In 1599 Pontgrave gave it the name of Riviere des Trois Rivieres, from the appearance which two of the islands give it of being three separate streams; Cartier had christened it Riviere de Foie, from the Breton family of that name. Champlain and Pontgrave ascended it as far as the first rapids, and a little later Champlain made the mouth of the stream a rendezvous for the Hurons who joined him in his expedition against the Iroquois, the river being the highway of the tribes who came from the interior to barter furs with the French traders, having been driven away from the St. Lawrence by the Iroquois. Traces of an old Algonquin stockade that stood where the upper town is now, and was destroyed before Champlain's time, were found when the boulevard facing the St. Lawrence was made.
One of the Recollet fathers who came with Champlain in 1615, celebrated the first mass. Colonists came two years later, and a mission was founded. In 1634 a regular trailing depot was established, as Montgrave had proposed to do long before, when Tadoussac was preferred by his superior Chauvin. For a long lime this was the extreme outpost of the French, and was held only by exceeding vigilance and bravery, which more than once saved Quebec from imminent danger. In 1624 Champlain's diplomacy brought together here one of the greatest assemblages of Indians ever known upon the Continent, and secured a treaty of peace between Hurons, Algonquins, Iroquois, and French. The Mohawks could not long resist the desire to use their newly-acquired fire-arms furnished by the Dutch and English, and then followed the bloody scenes which ended only with the arrival of the long prayed-for troops from France in 1665. The Hurons and Algonquins were almost exterminated, and the French were sore pressed. This was the heroic age of the colony so vigorously described by Parkman. The fur-traders of Three Rivers bore their part in it well, and when there was no more fighting to do their venturesome spirits found outlet in
the existing work of exploration, for with the establishment of Montreal the importance of Three Rivers as a trading-post had begun to decline, and the necessity of being farther afield, to say nothing of the half-wild nature of the coureurs de bois, led them on. The missionaries whose outpost, in the crusade against Satan and his Indian allies, Three Kivers also was, had set them an example. Jean
Nicolet lived and died here, and the old Chateau of the Governors, in which La Verendraye lived, still stands.
Not far from the Chateau is the original parish church, the oldest in Canada except the one at Tadoussac. It has the oldest records, for those of Quehec were burned in 1640. They begin on February 6th, 1635, in Pere Le Jeune's handwriting, with the statement that M. de la Violette, sent by Champlain to found a habitation, landed at Three Rivers on July 4th, 1634, with a party of French, mostly artizans, and commenced the work; that the Jesuits Le Jeune and Buteux came on the 8th of September, to be with them for the salvation of their souls, and that several of them died of scurvy during the winter. The chapel of the Jesuit mission severed till 1664, when a wooden church, with presbytery, cemetery and garden, was built...
Lucius O'Brien - Picturesque Canada (1882–84), Pages 94-96
Add YOUR Ancestor To This Page
History / News
1615 - Trois Rivieres existed as fur trading post since 1615...
www.telusplanet.net/ public/ dgarneau/ french10.htm
Added: 3/20/2009 3:34:41 PM - 1 Updated: 4/15/2014 11:09:41 AM - 1
1634 - August, 1634 - Samuel de Champlain rebuilds ruins of Québec, enlarges fortifications, builds fort at mouth of St-Maurice; starts another at Trois-Rivieres.
canadachannel.ca/ todayincanadianhistory/ index.php/ August_(Day_Unknown)
Added: 3/15/2014 9:35:07 PM - 1 Updated: 6/4/2015 11:27:18 AM - 1
1650 - Nine Frenchmen are killed at Three Rivers by the Iroquois.
www.many-roads.com/ 2010/ 04/ 20/ a-history-of-french-canada-1650 -to-1669/
Added: 3/20/2009 4:18:43 PM - 1 Updated: 4/15/2014 11:10:52 AM - 1
The small post at Trois-Rivieres suffered a number of attacks... The Iroquois usually arrived by canoe in complete silence. Using harquebuses and tomahawks, they killed Frenchmen who were out hunting game.
On June 6, 1651, Pierre Boucher, in charge of the Trois-Rivieres post, was ordered to create small companies of militia.
History of Quebec for Dummies by Eric Bedard, published by John Wiley & Sons, Canada, Ltd.
Added: 1/8/2015 9:58:10 AM - 1 Updated: 6/4/2015 11:27:50 AM - 1
1666 Census - Trois Rivieres was a small port with a population of 455, including that of adjoining settlements.The governor in charge of the local administration was Pierre Boucher, already mentioned as a delegate to France in 1661. The Jesuits had a residence there and a chapel which was the only place of public worship, for the colonists had not as yet the means to erect a parish church... Among the import...Read MORE... 1668 - Prohibited from selling liquor to IndiansThe End of February 1668. Petition presented to the Supreme Council by a number of the inhabitants of Three-Rivers, of Cap de la Madeleine, and of Champlain in which they allege that notwithstanding the prohibition to sell intoxicating liquor to the Indians, many people continue to do so : the petit...Read MORE...
1678 - Cathédrale de l’Assomption (Paroisse Immaculée-Conception) established at Trois-Rivières
Added: 7/31/2014 11:32:51 AM - 1 Updated: -
1678 - Église de Sainte-Marie-Madeleine established at Trois-Rivières
Added: 8/1/2014 9:24:12 AM - 1 Updated: -
1698 - October 14 - New France census shows: 211 houses in Trois-Rivières,
canadachannel.ca/ todayincanadianhistory/ index.php/ October_14
Added: 3/15/2014 6:12:58 PM - 1 Updated: 6/4/2015 11:28:24 AM - 1
In 1730, the iron works, des Forges du Saint-Maurice, were started. With this, Trois-Rivières became Canada's first industrial area.
Added: 1/18/2014 9:34:10 PM - 1 Updated: 4/15/2014 11:11:27 AM - 1
1745 - June 20: The French settlement at Three Rivers, P.E.I., is destroyed by the English.
www.telusplanet.net/ public/ dgarneau/ french34.htm
Added: 3/21/2009 6:59:30 PM - 1 Updated: 6/4/2015 11:28:40 AM - 1
1769 - November 6 - Trois-Rivieres governor Pierre Boucher returns from La Rochelle, France,
on two ships, with 100 soldiers, 300 new settlers, supplies, and a commitment of support to New France from Louis XIV.
canadachannel.ca/ todayincanadianhistory/ index.php/ November_6
Added: 3/15/2014 9:34:00 PM - 1 Updated: 6/4/2015 11:28:56 AM - 1
1822 - Prison is built in Trois-Rivières
It was designed by architect François Baillairgé.
Added: 8/1/2014 6:59:09 PM - 1 Updated: 8/1/2014 7:00:58 PM - 1
1832 - Église de la Visitation-de-la-Sainte-Vierge established at Trois-Rivières
Added: 8/1/2014 9:25:13 AM - 1 Updated: -
1842 - EARTHQUAKEFrom the Quebec Mercury of Nov. 10 -
The Canadien of last evening gives the following account of the recent shock from an earthquake, received in a letter from Three Rivers.
'This morning, about 10 o'clock, we experienced a violent shock of an earthquake. I was present at a marriage, (we omit...Read MORE...
1890 - CLERICAL INTERFERENCE.Complaints to be Made to Rome About the Conduct of Mgr. Lafleche.
QUEBEC, July 5. - LeCanadian says complaints are to be made to Rome against Mgr. Lafleche, Bishop of Three Rivers, who is accused of meddling in politics; and that the elections for Three Rivers, Champlain and Maskinonge are to be ...Read MORE...
1908 - FIRE RAKES A CANADIAN TOWN - Million Dollars' Damage Done In Three Rivers, Quebec.OTHER CITIES AIDED
But Flames Are Not Stayed Before the Whole Business Section Has Been Paralyzed.
THREE RIVERS, Que., June 23. - Fanned by a high wind a fire which broke out shortly before noon Monday in a stable did not pause in its work of destruction until the greater part of the lower tow...Read MORE...
1918 - Église de la Sainte-Famille established at Trois-Rivières
Added: 8/1/2014 9:23:14 AM - 1 Updated: -
1967 - January 14, 1967 - Catholic elementary and secondary teachers strike, closing hundreds of schools in Montréal and Trois-Rivieres; ends Feb. 17 when Québec passes Bill 25.
canadachannel.ca/ todayincanadianhistory/ index.php/ January_14
Added: 3/15/2014 9:36:03 PM - 1 Updated: 6/4/2015 11:31:50 AM - 1
Ancestors Who Were Born Here
Ancestors Who Died Here
Ancestors Who Were Married Here
We currently have information about 237 ancestors who were married in Trois-Rivières, Québec, Canada (Trois Rivieres) (Three Rivers).
View Them Now
Cemeteries in Trois-Rivières, Québec, Canada (Trois Rivieres) (Three Rivers)