Grand Pré, Nova Scotia, Canada / Saint-Charles-des-Mines, Acadia - The Old Road, Grand Pre, Nova Scotia
Grand Pré, Nova Scotia, Canada / Saint-Charles-des-Mines, Acadia

The Old Road, Grand Pre, Nova Scotia
Postcard 



Grand Pré, Nova Scotia, Canada / Saint-Charles-des-Mines, Acadia - Map of Acadia - Source: http://www.acadian-cajun.com/acadmap.htm
Grand Pré, Nova Scotia, Canada / Saint-Charles-des-Mines, Acadia

Map of Acadia - Source: www.acadian-cajun.com/ acadmap.htm
Map 



Grand Pré, Nova Scotia, Canada / Saint-Charles-des-Mines, Acadia - Grand Pre Village, N.S.
Grand Pré, Nova Scotia, Canada / Saint-Charles-des-Mines, Acadia

Grand Pre Village, N.S.
Postcard 



Grand Pré, Nova Scotia, Canada / Saint-Charles-des-Mines, Acadia - The Road To Grand Pre, N.S.
Grand Pré, Nova Scotia, Canada / Saint-Charles-des-Mines, Acadia

The Road To Grand Pre, N.S.
Postcard 






Don't end up on this site as someone's ancestor!  


Uncensored: A healthier planet for our children and grandchildren:
Climate Change


Who are you searching for?

Specify search criteria below. Then SEARCH.
NOTE: If you don't know the whole name or are unsure of the spelling, specify part of the name.

First Name:
Last Name:(maiden)
Soundex:
Gender:
Born:
Died:

Search by Place

To search for a place, specify place name below. Then SEARCH.
Place Name:

Browse by Place

Choose country, state/province combination below. Then BROWSE.


Grand Pré, Nova Scotia, Canada / Saint-Charles-des-Mines, Acadia
People, Pictures and News From the Past

Where is Grand Pré, Nova Scotia, Canada / Saint-Charles-des-Mines, Acadia? 

GRAND PRE

This settlement is located about half-way between the mouth of Gaspereau River and the mouth of the Cornwallis River in central Nova Scotia. The Lower Horton area was referred to by the Indians as Umtaban, meaning "an overflowing flood" because of the fact that the tides covered much of the lowlands for a part of each day before the dykes were built. Grand Pre is a name which was given by the French Acadian settlers and means, "Great Meadow."

Settlement may have begun in this area as early as 1680 when Pierre Melanson and Pierre Terriau moved here from Annapolis. About 1682 Claude and Antoine Landry, Etienne Hebert and Claude Boudrot, Jean Terriau, Martin Aucoin, Phillippe Pinet and Francois Lapierre moved here. In the spring of 1760 several shiploads of New England settlers arrived. This area became part of Horton township which was granted to the proprietors on May 29, 1761.

Probably the first church building in the area was the Acadian parish church of St. Charles which was built before 1707. A replica of this church was built as a memorial and was dedicated in August, 1922. A Presbyterian meeting house was built here probably in the late 1760's or early 1770's and was taken down soon after 1795. The Covenanter Church was begun in 1804 and completed in 1818. It was unused from 1894 until 1912 and eventually became the property of the United Church of Canada. The Chalmers Church a Non-Covenanter Presbyterian owned building was built about 1887-88 and was sold to the local school trustees in 1912. A Methodist Church was built about 1786. A new Church was opened in May 1821 but it burned down and was replaced by a new building which was dedicated in May , 1868. A new church hall for the Horton United Church at Grand Pre was opened December 2, 1928. A meeting house belonging to the United Church of Canada and located at North Grand Pre was possibly opened about 1861 as a Union Church.

John Cashen was teacher at "the Presbyterian Meeting House" September to December 1828. There was a school-house on Presbyterian ground here about 1835. A new public school was built in 1866. A school-house situated in Stewarts Woods was burned in 1872. A new school-house was erected in 1878. A school-house erected in 1913 was closed when the area was consolidated with Avonport and Horton District.

Farming has been the main industry. Acadia Dairy Company Limited was founded here prior to 1898.

Population in 1956 was 300.


NOTE: Interesting article about old Acadian Cemeteries
www.ameriquefrancaise.org/ en/ article-333/ Acadian_Cemeteries_in_Nova_Scotia.html#1www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/ ~nskings/ placenames1.html


Add YOUR Ancestor To This Page



History / News


Add History/News

1680 - First Settlers of Grand Pre
Grand-Pré, French for "large meadow", was first settled around 1680 when Pierre Melanson dit La Verdure, his wife Marguerite Mius d'Entremont and their five young children left Port-Royal to escape the perils of living in the capital of a colony constantly in conflict.

Grand-Pré is on the shores ...Read MORE...



1682 - founded
Grand-Pré located in Minas is founded. It will become the bread basket of Acadia.

www.telusplanet.net/ public/dgarneau/french22.htm
Added: 3/17/2009 6:08:00 PM - 1  Updated: 6/29/2014 10:10:13 AM - 1

1687 - A church is built at Grand Pre

www.acadian-cajun.com/ acadtime.htm
Added: 7/17/2014 7:03:52 PM - 1  Updated: -

1704 - Attacked
June 20: Benjamin Church (1639-1718), with 700 men, three warships and fourteen transports, burned Les Mines (Grand Pre), took Cobequid (Truro) and Piziquid (Pigiguit), and wasted Beaubassin, Acadia. They laid siege to Port Royal but they refused to surrender, and the English (speaking people)...Read MORE...


1747 Troops from New England Massacred at Grand Pre.

Added: 1/9/2017 10:15:14 AM - 1  Updated: -

1755 - September 5, 1755 - Acadian Expulsion
John Winslow, military commander at Annapolis, starts rounding up 5,000 Acadians from Grand Pre, Annapolis & Fundy coast for refusing to take an oath of allegiance; their land and farms are forfeited to the Crown; most are relocated to Louisiana.

canadachannel.ca/ todayincanadianhistory/ index.php/ September_5
Added: 3/15/2014 5:12:54 PM - 1  Updated: 6/29/2014 10:10:36 AM - 1

1873
GRAND PRE, or LOWER HORTON, a thriving post village in Kings co., N. S.. beautifully situated on Minas Basin, and on the W. & A. R., 15 miles from Windsor. The land hereabouts is very rich, mostly reclaimed by dykes from the Bay of Fundy. This is the scene of Longfellow's "Evangeline." His...Read MORE...


1916
Grand Pre, or Lower Horton, a post- village of Kings Co., Nova Scotia, on Minas Basin and on the Dominion Atlantic R., 15 miles NW. of Windsor. The land hereabouts is very rich, mostly reclaimed by dikes. This is the scene of Longfellow's " Evangeline."
Lippincott's New Gazetteer: A Complete Pronouncing Gazetteer Or Geographical Dictionary of the World, Containing the Most Recent and Authentic Information Respecting the Countries, Cities, Towns, Resorts, Islands, Rivers, Mountains, Seas, Lakes, Etc., in Every Portion of the Globe, Part 1 Angelo Heilprin Louis Heilprin - January 1, 1916 J.B. Lippincott - Publisher
Added: 11/20/2014 11:38:31 AM - 1  Updated: -


Ancestors Who Were Born Here

We currently have information about 342 ancestors who were born in Grand Pré, Nova Scotia, Canada / Saint-Charles-des-Mines, Acadia.
View Them Now (sorted by last name) View Them Now (sorted by year of birth)



Ancestors Who Died Here

We currently have information about 98 ancestors who died in Grand Pré, Nova Scotia, Canada / Saint-Charles-des-Mines, Acadia.
View Them Now (sorted by last name) View Them Now (sorted by year of death)



Ancestors Who Were Married Here

We currently have information about 169 ancestors who were married in Grand Pré, Nova Scotia, Canada / Saint-Charles-des-Mines, Acadia.  View Them Now





Cemeteries in Grand Pré, Nova Scotia, Canada / Saint-Charles-des-Mines, Acadia




Are you from Grand Pré, Nova Scotia, Canada / Saint-Charles-des-Mines, Acadia? Do you have ancestors from there?

If you'd like to be contacted by others who have ancestors from Grand Pré, Nova Scotia, Canada / Saint-Charles-des-Mines, Acadia, leave a message here!
The comments you read here belong only to the person who posted them. We reserve the right to remove off-topic and inappropriate comments.